1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

welcome to a summer of BS

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by csl, Apr 28, 2008.

1. csl

csl LawnSite Member

so this summer already sucks. weather has been awful, but then we landed a huge bid. we beat the other 2 bids by 20k or more, and i wasnt cutting any corners. we had a company that was going to come in and do all the streets in pavers because thats all they do, and we had a seperate contractor that was building all of our out buildings and decks. THEN, we get a call saying they are going with another company. basicly the other company bad mouthed us enough that we werent do it all in house, and that we probably didnt know what we were doing. the crappy part is that we already agreed on the price and when to start the install, cleared out our schedule for the month. i feel like going to this other guys office and knocking him out. anyone else have such a great start to the year?
  2. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Too bad! A physical memo sounds just about right. However, that would be stooping too there level. There are other options I am sure.

Best Wishes,

3. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

I work in an area with many other Landscape companies around. We're constantly competing with one another on getting jobs. If I found out that a competing company was bad mouthing me, I would take action. I agree with MilitaryLawns, don't stoop to their level. Go find your self a lawyer, and sue them for lost wages.
  4. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I doubt you could sue them. Freedom of speech.
  5. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

Not if its slander or defamation of character.
  6. Isobel

Defamation & Slander.

You can't go around saying whatever you want about someone else's character, or a business, or other group without proof, or backing it up somehow.

In the same way, if I turned around and started calling all of my neighbors telling them Mr. Jones across the street is a rapist, I could get sued.
  7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

So you had a contract and they broke it? Or you thought you were going to get the contract and you did not?

If you had a contract, you can take action. If you had a promise, it is really your fault for making so much of a commitment without having it wrapped up.
  8. csl

csl LawnSite Member

verbal contract, which as we all know, really holds no water. now, i have to go to the other jobs i set up for later and come up with some lame excuse as why we can start early. yeah i dont think i will try anything legally, and i wont stoop to this guys level, but i will make sure he gets his. (nothing illegal). oh well, hope others are having more positive times.
  9. Isobel

Stooping to their level would involve, in my opinion, saying slanderous things about their company and work ethic.

I would take them to court, sue them for slander, show them that you are a professional and live in the world of adults--not high schoolers. There's nothing dishonorable about taking someone to court over slander & defamation.

In the end its your good name that they are tarnishing.
  10. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

Have a lawyer write them a "cease and desist" letter warning them that if they continue to slander your good name, He will sue them for slander. you could write it yourself but it would be taken more seriously if a lawyer wrote it instead.