1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

welcome to the forum "Green_Mark"

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by BRANDMEL, May 22, 2005.

1. BRANDMEL

BRANDMEL LawnSite Member

Mark, if you are who I think you are, There needs to be a (Lawn Care Hall of Fame) Your pesticide free approach should not go unrewarded. You have paved the way for many of us with your dedication and commitment to the chemical-free / organic turf movement. Just my way of saying thanks. :waving:

2. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for your comments. I am flattered to say the least.

For years I have been fighting the EPA for the right to allow this industry to exist, and now we can.

Last May the EPA and I went to federal court. The end result is that they are now willing to respond to what qualifies as exempt and what does not.

Today I received approval of 3 new labeled products added to 2 others that occurred within the last month.

Now, things are going to get interesting. Our part of the industry is now legitimatized and we can move forward to create effective replacements to industry "traditional" pesticides.

In Canada over 70 cities have banned pesticides and the industry has not collapsed as they predicted. What did happen is lawns that were generating $110.00 per year on a 1,000 sq ft lawn in Pointe-Claire is now generating in the area of $250.00.

All services rose to the challenge and have followed our examples that we freely made public so they would have every opportunity to succeed.

Pesticide ban's are good for our industry. One day people will see what this will do for all of us and at the same time protecting our employees, customers and the environment.

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Although I am not completely in the "organic" corner, The less pesticides used the better off we will all be if there is a truly "safe" alternative to todays often overused products.
    Welcome and best wishes in your endeavors.............

4. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

The ban on pesticides may be generating more revenue/1000, but that is not good for the consumer. Typical liberal thinking.

5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Typical narrow thinking! True initially costs may be higher yet with safer products everybody as well as the health of the turf will benefit.

6. green_mark

I have been told my business model is flawed as it is bad for the customer, the industry and surely I will fail.

An interesting observation is that we are taking away lawns everyday from companies who charge and do less.

Currently this program is being used in Canada on over 100,000 customers this year and the very companies who told me this program would not work asked me to train them. I did.

Today one of these companies ordered another 20,000 liters of product and has dedicated 16 trucks to this product. In 2006 they are converting the entire customer base of over 25,000 customers to it next season.

In short, they and their customers are overjoyed. Price and quality must go hand in hand then everyone is a winner.

7. BRANDMEL

BRANDMEL LawnSite Member

AMEN

hand in hand then everyone is a winner.[/QUOTE]

8. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23 LawnSite Member

Please fill me in on what you are talking about, I am into the organic concepts also, but I am just starting out and am totally green and uneducated. I am interested in any information and even a web site of yours that would fill me in and also showcase your products.

9. green_mark

10. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

From what I've seen, organic programs are a little more expensive in the beginning, but in the long run the customer will save money. As the soil improves and thrives, less apps are needed. They won't need the Chemical LCO to dump 6 apps plus year after year. No aeration, as the thatch will be eaten naturally by microbes. No weed control, less fert...The list goes on..