1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Solu-Cal Forum

Discussion in 'Solu-Cal' started by Solucal-USA, May 9, 2007.

1. Solucal-USA

Solucal-USA Inactive

Welcome to the Solu-cal forum!

This Forum is dedicated to answering questions about the Solu-cal product line and to make new announcements regarding Solu-Cal.

Please visit our website by clicking any of the Solu-cal Icons if you need further information or to find a distributor.

Let me just explain briefly what Solu-cal is and how you can benefit from it.

Why should I use Solu-Cal instead of lime?

What is Solu-Cal ?

-Solu-Cal is an organic complex of soluble calcium and a unique chelating agent, (T.O.G) that university testing shows using 4 times less than lime provides equal or better results.
    -Solu-Cal has university testing backing up its claims and is the best source of immediately available calcium to the turfgrass industry.

-Solu-Cal is unique because it is “protected” to assure availability for soil reaction. Other calcium products “tie up” quickly and become in-soluble.

-Solu-Cal works much faster than lime because it reacts immediately, providing “first season results” and a visual response.

What it does:

-Releases in-soluble calcium in the soil. Which in turn releases imbalanced micros.
    -Improves germination.
    -Drastically improves disease resistance
    -Stimulates root growth, and enhances microbial activity.
    -Increases absorption of essential nutrients.
    -Instantly absorbed into the plant through the leaf tissue and root system.
    -Will replace traditional lime products.

In the soil:

-TOG becomes a calcium saturated complex, this will help balance sodium, and salts as well as hydrogen. Creating a proactive approach towards “conditioning” the soil.

Solu-Cal is a must if:

.Need to adjust PH
    -Your Turf is disease prone.
    -You are re-seeding, or sprigging or hydroseeding.
    -Environmental stresses affect your turf.
    -You are trying to increase nutrient absorption in the leaves of the plant.
    -You have applied lime or gypsum recently. It will release all the calcium of these applications. .
    -Your water is effluent, or poor quality.
    -Your soils leach rapidly, or are very tight, high in CEC

Solu-Cal is best used:

-Once or twice yearly at 5# maintenance rate once PH is adjusted.
    - To adjust PH using test recommendations, use 4 times less than lime.
    - 100# lime= 25 # Solu-cal
    -Begin prior to disease pressures, and continue through stress periods..
    -In conjunction with sound fertility Program.

To sum Solu-cal up:

- Works Faster than Lime.
    - Works better than Lime.
    - Requires 4 x less than lime.
    - Costs less than the equivalent amount of Lime.
    - Saves Time.
    - Saves Labor.
    - Saves Storage space (4 times fewer bags)
    - Increases seed germination
    - Improves Disease resistance
  2. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

how long does it last? (kinda like liquid lime?)

what form does it come in? powdered? pelletized? (if so, what SGN?)

Who will distribute it? (suppliers)
  3. Solucal-USA

Solucal-USA Inactive

Solu-cal products are available in pelletized form. Solu-cal is also available in a liquid, but registered in only a couple states at the moment. That is changing very shortly.

Solu-cal is available in micro size for greens and standard particle for most other uses. The standard particle is similar in size to a pelletized calcium limestone particle.

Liquid lime and Solu-cal affect soil PH in 2 different ways. Liquid Lime is usually a very fine standard aglime mixed with water. Liquid Lime will produce a quick PH spike due to the initial fineness and mixture with water, but those effects are probably the shortest lived of any liming materials. You essentially could get similar results cheaper by spreading very fine ag lime and watering it in immediately. It will cost less too.

Solu-cal is a High Calcium lime product that is treated with an organic acid (T.O.G) as a chelating or complexing agent. When Solu-cal is applied, the T.O.G dissolves the calcium in a form the plant can uptake immediately. It also will release any "tied up" calcium already present in the soil.

Solu-cal results last longer than liquid lime when applied at equivalent rates.

One other misconception about Solu-cal is that it doesn't last as long as other standard granular/pelletized liming materials . In a broad sense, this is only partially true. If you applied Solu-cal and a standard pellitized form of lime at the same time, Lime would only last longer because it can take 4-9 months to break down and start to do its job. Solu-cal begins working immediately and you get the benefits up front instead of waiting months for regular lime benefits. Essentially, you are getting similar time-frames of actual benefits, but you don't have to wait 4-9 months to see these benefits.

As a turf manager or Lawncare professional, the desired result from your application of Solu-cal will be achieved much sooner than lime. Think of it this way. If a professional was applying fertilizer to a lawn, would he or his customers wait 6 months to see any benefits or results from the application? Probably not, or else he wouldn't be in business. Why should Lime be any different? It doesn't have to be anymore. Many times you will also see a visual response from the turf as it makes the other nutrients already in the soil, available to the plant.

Don't forget too, Solu-cal benefits also go way past just PH correction .

Solu-cal products can be found through many distributors around the country. You can find a list at our website under the distributors tab.

Thanks for inquiring
  4. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

i'm a big fan of solucal

i see you are from wareham so i'm figuring you're with the company located on rt 28 (guess we're not mentioning any names here?)

now for my complaint...not against the product but against the company. we have not used solucal in a few years (ever since Joe left your company) I have a long history with Joe and he was the salesman that turned me on to solucal. i have called the office several times since Joes departure and NEVER get a call back. WTF? Its like I'm waving fist full on money at ya and you guys dont want my money....again WTF?

we loved your drivers as well. good hard working guys who never let us down. Now if we could only get someone to return our call we'd be back doing business with you guys and not just for solucal

what say you?
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, solu-cal is good stuff, bit pricey for me it's kinda yin yang...

When I got TONS of work, solu-cal saves a lot of time and is worth it.
    When I'm slow, I prefer cashing in on the labor.
    The price and the results are similar, that is to say I have to spread 3-4 times the cheaper product so solu-cal gives me that flexibility, and is an excellent product.
  6. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I have a question about using solucal in addition to regular pulverized lime. My area has extremly low calcium saturations, 12%-20%, ph's around 5. we also have very low magnesium levels. Lime application rates generaly around 4000lbs dolomitic lime per acre. The cheapest source of Magnesium would be the dolomitic lime, but would any additional benefits be had with using solucal in addition to the dolomite, and how would one compute the proper amounts to use.
  7. Solucal-USA

Solucal-USA Inactive

It sounds like you live in an area with soil structure like the northeast. Two tons of lime per acre is quite a bit, but not uncommon at all.

I would suggest you do an initial Dolomitic Lime application, and then a Solu-cal Application at 5# per 1000 sq ft. You may try applying only 2000 lbs of the dolomitic lime to start, then the Solu-cal. If you are going apply half the Lime now, use Solu-cal at the 12# per 1000 rate. Then retest in the early fall.

At that point in fall, you may not need to adjust at all, or only a minor adjustment.

Solu-cal requires 4 times less product than Lime. If you are going to replace 2000 lbs of lime for an application, you will use 500 lbs Solu-cal per acre. So in this instance to calculate your 4000 lbs per acre , you apply 1/2 of the dolomitic lime (ton per acre) and to replace the other ton, use 500 lbs Solu-cal in conjunction with it it.

The benefit of using Solu-cal in conjunction with your initial lime application, is that the T.O.G organic acid will help release any calcium (and other nutrients) currently in the soil and also make the calcium in the lime you are putting down now, more readily available to the turf. In short, it will speed up the process of increasing PH and you should see noticable results much faster than the lime alone.

Once major adjustment are made, you can maintain proper PH and saturation levels with Solu-cal at much lower rates.

good luck.
  8. Solucal-USA

Solucal-USA Inactive

I was just in Richmond a week ago visiting a few distributors. Great place!

Yes, Solu-cal does cost more than Lime but you also smartly noted one of the real benefits of Solu-cal too. You use 4 times less than Lime to do the same thing, and much faster.

Pelletized Lime products aren't cheap anymore and vary in price nationally. I see pricing from $3.75 at the lowest to 5+ dollars on the higher end.

Solu-cal at the 5# maintenence rate goes 10,000 sq ft per bag, or to do corrective applications, use 4 times less than lime recommendations.

At $ 4.25 avg per 50 lb bag for lime, thats totals $17.00 for an equivalent bag of Solu-cal. In many cases, Solu-cal will cost LCO's less than this depending on what part of the country you are in. You can actually save money and get faster results too.

You did mention cashing in on the labor. Everyone bills differently in this business, so do you charge by the bag to spread lime and make money on the labor? Time and labor savings is one of the big advantages of Solu-cal, but if you bill by labor by the bag, then that benefit may not be as important.
    Especially if you are not the one pushing the lime!

Thanks forthe input Topsite.
  9. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Anoter question.
    Since P tieup can occur quite rapidly with calcium, what effect might I see when using the Solucal product and fertilizers containing tripple super P, Map and Dap. My soils are also very deficient in P and I normally add large p percentages fertilizers by spraying, and of course, if I was going to apply solucal, I would want to mix it in the solution and apply at the same time.
  10. Solucal-USA

Solucal-USA Inactive

I guess it all depends on the PH of the soil. Calcium and Magnesium can both tie-up Phosphorus in alkaline soils above a 7 PH. You wouldn't be applying Solu-cal to turf in this instance because you have no need to increase PH.

Phosphorus availability to plants in most soils is greatest when soil PH is between the 6-7 range. An application of Solu-cal or liming materials is common practice to raise PH in acidic soils and beneficial in making the phosphorus more available.

So the availability of the calcium in Solu-cal should not present a problem in this case because you wont be using Solu-cal in Alkaline soils over 7. Correcting acidic soils to proper PH levels and balancing saturation levels will be very beneficial in making the phosphorus more readily available.

Properly balancing saturation levels and PH, creates a favorable environment for the availability of most all fertilizer compounds. It is the ideal situation.