weld on an intake manifold

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by ccorts, Jun 3, 2002.

1. ccorts

ccorts LawnSite Member

I have a question and I am not even sure if this is the correct forum, but I will ask here. I have a Case 580D backhoe and I believe there is a small hair-line crack on the intake manifold. Is this something that can be "fixed" by a qualified welder, or does it have to be replaced? It is cast, I believe, and there is the heat issue, but is there a way it can be welded so that a complete tear down can be avoided? Thanks for any copmments or suggestions.
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I would think that it is cast iron and not aluminum. Have a welder take a look at it. May be able to be done.
  3. karl klein

karl klein LawnSite Member

yes it can be done, it wont be cheap but probably less than pulling and replacing it
  4. chip hayden

chip hayden LawnSite Member

maybe this is a possibility. if it's an intake and not an exhaust manifold J-B Weld or an equivalent might work if the crack could be prepped properly.
  5. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

jb weld should take care of it ive used it on a cracked head and got 4 extra years out of an old machine
  6. Knee-Deep

Knee-Deep LawnSite Member
    from LA

I've used ni 55 malable cast rods on intakes and monifolds.They work fine.They don't seem to"pull" as much as other nickle rods do.I always preheat cast evenly before welding or brazing.The work piece cools evenly and seems to prevent cracking after the job is done....But jb weld may solve your problem for a while.