welded doubles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by vipermanz, Jul 7, 2004.

1. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i was thinking about tig welding a set of doubles together, the only negative i could think of is if i hit an obstacle like a root or pipe.

Any other opinions?

thanks
    jz

2. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Pro’s – they would not move, it would be faster to put on your mower.

Con’s – if you trashed one blade you lost two, I think it would take longer to balance the welded doubles than the singles.

Weld up a set and see how you like them.

Jeff

3. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

The only time I have ever had doubles to move on me , is when I hit a solid object (which is good). I use a speed square and impact them on, and it would be much easier to sharpen and balance.

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Another thing is I was once told that welding mower blades will damage the temper on them which weakens them a bit so it's dangerous?
    I have welded doubles together once for a 21" mower. worked fine. I also once tried to weld some lift wings to gator blades. the lift idea didn't work (used angle iron, too steep of an angle LOL) but the welds worked just fine.

5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Remember if you do weld them to do little tacks of weld at a time. Do not run the entire bead. This will cause your blades to warp from the heat.

6. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

If you weld have good insurance as you are asking for trouble.

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

why bother. my doubles take about 2 extra seconds to put on. put them both on the bolt, line that bad boy up, hand start it, then crank away.

welded would suck come sharpening time.

getting the perfect 90 deg isn't that important either. 80and 100 or 90 and 90, just so long as it is close gets you what you want.

8. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

have a question about these double blades, would they be ok to run on my 36in scag with a 15hp kaw? also what blades to use? stock on bottom gators on top?

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would never in my life consider welding doubles together...how much time are you gonna save and how much more time is it going to take you to figure out how you are going to sharpen them?

What happens if you bend the lower one?

10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

On my 60" mower, I run the stock 21"s on the bottom and 16"s on top