Welded throttle cable?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by fixer67, Aug 13, 2007.

1. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Got a Walker diesel in the shop. MDDGHS model. The throttle cable is WELDED. The cable is welded to the casing. I have never seen this before. I know how it happened and will tell after a few of you guess. HINT: it is real simple.

2. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm betting someone had welded somewhere on the unit or there was a short and it grounded through the throttle cable.

3. fixer67

You are on the right track.

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Or somebody wasn't watching what they were doing and allowed it to cross the battery?

5. fixer67

You are close.

6. DOLMARatOS

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

Poor engine ground pathway and the current flowed through the throttle to the frame?

7. fixer67

You are the closest so far
    You are RED HOT

8. DOLMARatOS

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

I can really see the issue after reading the original post. Engine mounted on rubber and the ground strap failed. Current travels through the throttle cable to the tractor frame where the battery is grounded.

9. fixer67

I am going to give it to you as you are the closest.
    No rubber mounts on this engine. It bolts straight to the frame. On the Walker the front body where the seat is tilts forward. The catcher tilts backward to dump. See picture. The MDDGHS takes 300 amps to start it. I have check it before. The battery was dead so the man tried to jump start it. He hooked the HOT to the battery which is under the front body. He then made the mistake. He hooked the ground to the raise front body. The front body is very poor ground. I have had to run an extra ground for light kit. It is only mounted to the main frame by to bolts that are part of the hinge. When he turned the key he sent 300 amps though the throttle cable and turned it red hot. It is a wonder it did not weld the parking brake cables as well. Be careful where you hook your jumper cable

mtaccess-1.JPG

10. cranesrule

cranesrule LawnSite Member

Good stuff!