1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Welder Question for Trailer Racks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Kickin Your Grass, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I'm wanting to make some racks for my trailer to hold hand tools, gas cans, etc. I'm basically going to be using angle iron, square tubing, and expanded metal. I will also do misc. welding when needed. I'm looking for something cheap that will get the job done. Will this work :

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44568

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

A car battery and jumper cables will weld better than that thing. Personally spend a little more money on something better. Even look at trying to find a good used welder something that runs off of 220.

You need to look at the duty cycle that little welder your looking at you can weld 6 seconds out of every minute.

Start searching the pawn shops or local auctions and you will find a AC welder somewhere.

3. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked ar that one and ended up getting a small mig at sears

4. thebobcatkid86

thebobcatkid86 LawnSite Member

My advice, if you have the budget go for a Hobart Stickmate LX 235AC/160DC stick machine. I have one of these and a Lincoln 140DC MIG and Im telling you that once you learn to use it that Hobart will weld anything. I bought mine to renovate this old flatbed trailer I bought to haul my bobcat.

5. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck LawnSite Member

i would look at a hobart harbor freight sells them and so does tsc

6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I love my little Lincoln, it is just a 100, if I was buying now I'd get a 135.

7. thebobcatkid86

thebobcatkid86 LawnSite Member

My Hobart came from TSC. Was $399. When I bought it I didnt know squat about welding but I knew I had to have it to fix this old trailer. My dad knows a little about welding. The Lincoln 140 is actually his. He taught me the bacics and then I just followed the charts and guidelines in the manual that came with the Hobart and now I know how to do stuff that he cant imagine. My othe advice: If you're going to go stick get one with a DC option. Much smoother, less spatter and easier to control your arc/puddle.