Welders how of you guys use them

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Integritylawncare, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Integritylawncare

Integritylawncare LawnSite Member

I wondered how practical it would be to purchase a fed wire welder for sole use in my lawn business. Wear and tear on my trailer is breaking some welds, plus I would like to beef up my trailer. How many of you guys use welders in your business? Thoughts on the tsc farm hand series welders and size.

2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 welders that I use. I have a millermatic 210 mig, and a miller syncrowave 180sd TIG. I think for general repairs the MIG is much more practical and easier to use, and not as fussy in terms of clean metals. Not sure about the specific one your talking about, but i would look into who aucully makes the TSC welders, I would bet money that its not TSC. Its probibly lincoln or someone. Which is a very reputable brand. But anyways, for the price of a basic machine, you'll love having the ability of being able to do general repairs.

One thing, don't even bother wasting your time with flux cored wire. Just go straight to shielding gas with a solid core wire. The flux core with no gas is so spattery, makes a mess, and a crappy looking weld. Not to mention the smoke it creates is horrendous.

Good luck

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have lots of welders. Why. Because employees can break anything. Bought a real nice miller 210 when I was 18 to repair my own equipment. 5 years later, I am trying to tying to get out of this business and go do welding full time. Far more money in it, if people know you know what your doing. I already do 100 plus snow plow installions during the winter. Along with ordimental iron work.

My only advice would be get something that is 220 volts and says miller on it. Anything else is a waste of time and money. The little tiny TSC specials can't really weld heavy metal. You need power to burn heavy iron.

4. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a hobart 210 and have been going crazy with it, I weld for probably 12-24 hours every weekend. I dont use it very much for my business but if you know what you are doing I can see where it would pay its self off with repairs and you can fabricate things like sulkys, ocdc's, trailers, the list goes on and on.

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I have a little Lincoln Weld-pak 100. It is just a flux core, wire feed. I love it. Do I wish it was bigger, and mig? Of course, but I couldn't get by without a welder now.

I weld up mowers right and left, I build my own sulkies which are 10X better than the crap you can buy. We'll, that may be a slight exaggeration, but they are way better. I build my own sprayers. I build a couple sprayers a year for other people. I fix and modify my trailers. During the winter, I build ornamental benches and have even played around with metal sculpting. I really don't know how you can have a lawn biz without one.

6. boppersims

boppersims LawnSite Member

Get a Miller 210, it should do everything your wanting to do. I have an oldr Miller 200 and it still works as good as a new one.

7. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a Harbor Freight mig, about $125.00, can I afford a better one? Of course I can, but I wanted to see if it would be handy, and it has been. I made some holder for my trimmer that attaches to my WB.

Yesterday fixed a plate that broke off my shrub trimmer, plus made some yard art.....worth it to me.

8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I like this thread because I was thinking the same thing. I have no experience with electric welders though. I have often thought about all the little things I have done at the machine shop that could be done at home if I had a welder. Did any of you guys have no experience before you bought your welders? Tony

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Good point, if you are going to weld, or just think you can go buy a welder and point and shoot, think again... Yes, mig welders are pretty easy, but you still need a good teacher/advisor and PRACTICE. If you don't know how to weld find a friend that does and try to get them to show you the basics. Some people pick it up right off and others never get good (ie. me). I have a Clarke mig welder, flux core, but can be used with gas. For my low abilites for welding it works really well and there is not much spatter at all, even my step-dad who is a welder by trade was suprised how well the flux core works, and the nice thing is you don't have to worry about the wind and empty bottles.

I also have an old lincon AC arc welder, but stick welding is another of those practice practice practice things and requires a lot of technique to actually make it work properly, sure, if you can strike an arc you can lay a bead, but is it right?

10. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never touched a welder in my life, moving to Texas it seemed like everyone guys/girls grew up on the farm welding/////LOL.......I looked at some utube shots of welding and starting messing with it,,,welds still look crappy, but are getting better......I also read somewhere that pretty welds could be the weakest....made me feel better about mine.......I say just try it.....also get a good helment, makes a world of differance...