welding a bolt?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by mikeklein, Aug 10, 2003.

1. mikeklein

mikeklein LawnSite Member

I recently built a 2 wheel stand on rider for my walkbehind,I mowed with it the first day and the 5/8" grade 8 bolts I used for axles on both sides of the platform were a little bent upwards,not enough to notice while riding it,but when you pull the wheels off,its noticable,and will probably get worse.I know there is much stronger bolts than grade 8,likeF-911,but I only weigh about 250.What I did was drill the holes for the bolts in the angle steel,slide the bolts thru and weld the hex head portion to the inner side of the angle,then I welded on the outer side,welding part of the shaft to the angle,basically welded on each side of the hole,I have heard welding on any bolt will weaken it,is this true or should I have just welded on the head portion of the bolt?I should mention the welds are fine just the shaft of the bolt is bending.after I figure out this problem,Im using F-911 bolts next time.they have 180,000psi rating,nothing stronger that I know of.Thanks for the help.

2. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

Regular zinc plated bolts you get at any hardware store will weaken when welded.

3. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

how many slash marks on the bolt head ?

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Any bolt that is hardened to any degree will become softer or weaker after being welded.It has been annealed from the heat of the welder.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If the bolt isn't good enough you can try some cold rolled steel and run the shaft right through so both wheels ride on the shaft.

They do make stronger than grade 8 but the bolts get more brittle as the grade of the bolt gets higher.

The other option is make a Fork over the wheel like a bicycle so the load is shared on each side of the wheel.

6. mikeklein

mikeklein LawnSite Member

After I looked at it more,I noticed the bolts didnt bend.the steel around it did.I used 11GA. when I probably should have used 7GA. on that section.After straightening it out I beefed it up around the bolts with more steel,has been fine ever since,even over some pretty rough terrian.thanks for all the suggestions.