Welding around rubber

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by Dennis, May 7, 2001.

1. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

I have a Snapper Pro 48" WB, The deck lift braket broke loose and when I tried to reweld it(with a mig) the rubber bushing started to burn,I couldn't get the bushing out,so is there a way for me to weld it while it is in place?
    Thanks
    Dennis

2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Dennis - I've had to weld around things that didn't take well to heat (like rubber bushings) in the past, here's something to try:

With the MIG welder, rather than holding the trigger down and running a continuous bead of weld, use a stop/start technique (pull the trigger/release it/pull the trigger/release it/etc) and run a bead that way, pausing at frequent intervals to cool the bracket & bushing down with a rag soaked in cold water. By doing this, the amount of heat radiating out from the weld area is kept under control.

Make sure that after you cool the bracket down and before you resume welding, there is no water in the area of the weld itself. Soaking the bracket down with the rag & then blowing things off with compressed air is a good method if air is available.

Take your time, cool things down frequently and it should be possible to re-attach the bracket without destroying the rubber bushing.

[Edited by 75 on 05-07-2001 at 08:29 PM]

3. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

And DC straight on your stick machine will push less heat to the work, more to the rod. Beware of cold welds though.

4. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

Thanks for the tips..I dan't have a stick welder yet,but will try the slow,wet style this weekend..
    thanks again
    Dennis

5. 75

Was just wondering how the repair job on your mower deck went this weekend, Dennis!

6. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

Thanks for asking.. so far so good,,,although even cooling after every spot weld I could still smell rubber burning..maybe I need to let cool longer, bushing looks good from outside.
    Dennis

7. 75

Glad to hear that everything is "so far so good" - as far as letting things cool down a bit longer that's a good idea. You'll probably get some "burnt rubber" smell no matter what you do (when I work on conveyor hoppers, some sparks always end up on the belt and give off that distinctive smell but the belt's OK). It's when the bushing starts to give off smoke & flame that things get serious!

8. Gordon

Gordon LawnSite Member

I know your already done with the repair and I'm glad it worked for you. Here is another idea, it's something that I use alot of at times. It's a thermal paste. What it does is keep the heat from going where you don't want it to. Works pretty good. Unsure of price but it's available at the supply house.

I also use it for brazing on large A/C compressors.

Gordon