1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

welding blades

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by larryinalabama, Aug 13, 2011.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Does anyone weld nicks in their blades befofe sharpening them? I have had a friend doing it for me and it has added life to a few blades so Im debating weathe or not to buy a welder.

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

It never occured to me to weld my blades. I'd think it could do more harm then good (warp them or ruin the temper) but that's just my first impression...I'm open to new ideas.

3. bmc1025

bmc1025 LawnSite Senior Member

I weld the tips if they wear faster or I get lazy sharpening. I don't weld the nicks closer to to the center of the blades but I may start.

4. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device

5. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

If I'm mowing unknown territory,then I'll slap on some stand by welded up blades to avoid ruining a good set of blades.

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Every landscaper show have a welder for equipment repairs. As far as the blades, you should buy "Hard Facing" mig wire and weld the edge of the blades, then grind them. Hard facing will bump the Hardness up to 50 to 55 Rockwell hardness. They'll last much longer between sharpening.

7. Snapper Jack

Never knew hard facing mig wire existed, that and I never really thought of searching for it ,so thanks for the tip.

8. I've tried welding the edges of blades but gave it up. But with what you all post, I'm going to try it again.

9. Snapper Jack

Nothing hard about it,just take your time building up areas with the filler.Just stitch weld it,then grind after cool down (of course you'll have to find your zone with amperage and wire feed settings)

10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Okay, I'll play devils advocate here - question:
    Will your General Liability Insurance cover the injury or damage to private property if a blade comes apart that has been welded?
    It hasn't happened often but I have had blades separate and fly out from under the mower.
    The debris shield took a beating but kept that piece from ejecting far enough away from the machine to impale a person or damage property.
    You might just want to look at what coverages your G.L. policy covers you for regarding non standard alterations to equipment.
    I pull regular maintenance on my reciprocating mowers to include routine blade sharpening and replacement. After eight hours or a damage event, the blades are replaced with ground/balanced ones.
    I ask as I know my $two million policy sure as hell won't.