Welding dove tail to pick-up easily

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfcutters Plus, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member

Could a dove tail be welded to back of pick up the way it is?I have a ramp that folds from usa ramps that i love.I want to put mid size z in back.I put 36 hydro now.I have trailor but would like to leave it home many days.I cut out both wheel wells for more room and love that too.36 next to 21 easily.I've brought z to mechanic from truck to dock.nice!But need to lower to be safe.I have 1500 GMC ext cab with 8' bed.Any input would be apreciated!!:usflag:

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

You can bolt the ramps to your bumper. I have seen pics of it in another forum. It works, but I'm not too sure about the looks of it. Since you can weld, just pull the bed off and fabricate a flatbed landscape body.

3. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

And as most beds are only held to the frame by 6 to 10 bolts, that isn't that hard a job to do. I did it more than 25 years ago on a Toyota and made a larger fuel tank for it at the same time. Customer was very happy with the new bed.

4. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen pictures of beds made.Can't i just come off rear and keep sides for looks?I don't weld now but know someone who does.Also need to extend hitch.It's my back-up trailor truck.