Welding for fun

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by Ssouth, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone here ever use your welding skills to make any type of artwork? The reason I'm asking is because I just got a new 110 MIG. I wanted for two reasons: 1. Shop use ( fixing things and making things for work) 2. To make things that are visually pleasing.
    I have been into woodworking for several years and have found that for some projects the ability to use steel would be a compliment to the wood or vice versa. I had a friend in college that made a wonderful coffe table of marble and angle iron. It was a real conversation piece and many people offered to buy it, but he wouldn't sell it. He also made lamps and other abstract items which were always a hit. (everything he made was from scrap material. Had another friend who made barstools and chairs, beds, and other misc. items for profit. He enjoyed the work and seemed to make decent money as a side job.
    Anyway, do any of you do this type of work and do you have any pics? Hopefully, I will have some in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking about the coffee table idea because we have some beautifil old tile that is just sitting in the attic crying to be out in the light. LOL
    I would appreciate any tips or tricks to this type of work.

Thanks in advance,
  2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Your idea is a good one, admittedly I don't get involved with much ornamental iron work (as mentioned in another post, I'm primarily working on structural steel and machinery) with the exception of the odd railing installation.

Because a lot of the projects you'll likely build are fairly small, scrap pieces are a great source of material. 1/2" square stock (often used for railing pickets) is very useful, as is round bar of the same diameter and 1/4" flat bar of various widths (1", 1-1/2", 2" come to mind) and light angle, 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 1/8" for example, is good for framing a table top. Some pieces of heavy plate are also good to have as bases and to make jigs for bending different shapes.

Offhand I can't think of any tips that apply specifically to that type of work - the basics of metal fabricating still hold true regardless of what type of work you're doing!

For things like tables/chairs etc, make sure you have an area that you know is flat & level to check and make sure your project will sit right - the floor in my little "home shop" slopes to a drain in the middle of the garage bay, so I have to be careful which part of the floor I use for assembly!

You'll find that many of the techniques used in woodworking for measuring, checking for square etc work the same way when applied to metal fabricating.
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I got a friend who I let use my welder. Why? Because he uses my old car parts, sheetmetal, mower parts, etc to make scuptures. He then paints and sells them. Some go for a very good price. Just another use and recycling of material.