welding mower deck

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by rustyjeeper, Apr 6, 2002.

1. rustyjeeper

rustyjeeper LawnSite Member

I've heard it is illegal to weld a mower deck. Has anyone else ever heard this???
  2. mud_man93

mud_man93 LawnSite Member

dont see why it would be. i have done it many times
  3. rustyjeeper

rustyjeeper LawnSite Member

so have I, but at a school I recently attended the instructor told us there was a law against it. He did'nt have a copy-so I'm trying to verify if it's true for liability reasons.
  4. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Having no experience when it comes to mower repair, I can't offer any input specific to your question.

The idea of liability issues makes sense though - one thing I do know is that any repair welding on hoisting equipment has to be done by a "certified" (ticketed) welder from a "certified" (under the appropriate agency, in our case the Canadian Welding Bureau) which has resulted in a number of small mobile welding jobs at the Hydro One truck repair yard near our shop: their people do good work but since they aren't CWB certified anytime a crack on one of the booms or outrigger boxes must be repaired they aren't allowed to weld on it.

The mower deck situation may be similar.
  5. chip hayden

chip hayden LawnSite Member

as 75 said it is possible that some maufacturers association has decided that it would be a product liability issue for unqualified people to weld on their decks. being a member of the American Welding Society, which is similar to the CWB, and a CWI, i know of no regulation by the AWS that would prevent any welding of a deck. now if for some reason a deck is made of a proprietary alloy that's a different issue. i'm also surprised you live in the next town over from me!
  6. 111easy

111easy LawnSite Member

I have heard it is illegal. By what controlling authority? No clue.

However I am a degreed welding engineer with 20 yrs experience.

Concerning a ruling authority on weld repair of decks I suggest there are none. A possible exception might be localized where bureaucrats run-a-muck.

As with anything you choose to repair (cars etc), the liability is yours. Just do a quality job.

About the repair:
    Depends on the deck material --- mild steel, high strength steel, high carbon steel, aluminum and so on.
    Cracks --- be sure to clean the crack of all dirt and paint
    If deck matl is thick grind away some of the thickness
    This will ensure a full penetration weld.
    Be sure to grind away the crack at the ends of the
    crack or even drill a hole at the ends to prevent the
    crack from growing. There are many other things to
    consider depending on the situation.