welding project

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by scsa, Jun 7, 2003.

1. scsa

scsa LawnSite Member

Do you think modifying a larger and heavier plow would be worth it as a welding project? I want to do it so I can lighten it up and put it on a ford ranger. Any ideas would be appreciated:confused:
  2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know anything at all about plows but i understand what you are saying, given that these things have to push some heavy snow around, I would somewhat be hesitant to modify it, But again ,I don't know anything about plows, Give it a day or so here and someone who does know can better advise you.:)
  3. Arc Burn

Arc Burn LawnSite Member

Everything about a larger,heavier plow is just that,larger and heavier.Structurely,you can do it but i'm afraid the end product would still be to heavy for a Ranger.By the time you braced and reinforced around the areas you cut out,you would be right back were you started from.

The project is certainly possible,but it will still be taxing on your little Ranger.I think your looking at a bigger truck or smaller plow.

Just for the heck of it,how big of a plow?
  4. scsa

scsa LawnSite Member

the plow as of right now is a 7.5 foot plow. it has hydraulics for the operation end. i really want to get a snowbear plow or something similar that would fit up to my truck. if i have too...i was going to modify the 7.5 plow. it is just heavy and has signs of "use". i had initial plans of just creating a smaller plow off the 7.5 plow. it just seems that it would be a waste of time. i wanted to use it because it has the pump with it. the snowbear has to manually angle the plow if needed. with the other plows you can angle by using the motor.