1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Welding question???

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by ksland, Mar 14, 2003.

1. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I just had some cracks welded in a walkbehind deck. My question is can I grind the welds down flush with the surface? I am going to sandblast the deck, prime and paint it. I would rather not have ugly welds sticking up. Not sure if I will end up with a crack again or if the crack will be seemlesly joined.:confused:
  2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, if it is a good weld you can grind it. I would leave a little hump. It will more than likely crack again sometime in the future, but like concrete no guarantee when or where.

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i have ground them down to near perfect on custom bicycle frames i have made and they retain their strength. just be gentle with the grinder
  4. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I did some grinding today, anytime I get anywhere near flush I see the crack in the weld. I tried taking it real slow and fast, didn't matter. I can still see the cracks from the underside of the deck plain as day. Was this just a poor welding job? I paid too much I think as it was. Should I have it welded from the underside and then use body filler? I am getting it sandblasted and painted next week and would like to not see cracks and welds in the deck afterwards.:(
  5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If the crack was Vee'd out and filled you will have a stronger joint that can be ground down semi flush but if it was surface welded it will crack again as your not melting metal all the way to the bottom of the crack. If the weld was done right you would have dribbles coming out the bottom of the weld but if the metal is thin it will be hard to get a good weld.

If the metal is thin enough it should have been tig welded its about the best when it comes to thin stuff and trying to get a good fusion bettween the base metal and the fill metal.

Once you have a crack its going to crack around it your not going tobe able to stop it if the part viberates try dampen the viberation it will keep you from getting cracks. Viberation fatigues the metal and eventually it gives out aluminum is really bad for this it doesn't have as much give.
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

KS have you checked your email? I sent you one but no reply.
    Just checking, thanks
  7. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

I just had 2 decks welded and made sure the guy welded on both sides. I do a little welding but i ain't pretty. :D
  8. BobQ

BobQ LawnSite Member

I was just going to suggest welding both sides but I see ZX beat me to it. I always do both. The one on the underside you don't necessarily have to grind. True on the cracking again and not knowing where. The weld could hold fine but the deck could crack an inch away from where it was welded. You never know!! :rolleyes:

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

even if you get a good weld the metal around the weld becomes brittle and may crack, mower decks are so thin and have a huge amount of stress on them especially 61 inch and bigger decks.
    if you have a good weld you should not have to grind it grinding is for non welders good luck i like duck tape
  10. Derdader

Derdader LawnSite Member

I like to drill a small hole at each end of a crack before welding. The holes help relieve any stress the sheet metal may be under.