Welding wood

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by wroughtn_harv, Jan 28, 2005.

1. wroughtn_harv

wroughtn_harv LawnSite Member

Occasionally someone will talk me into doing some wood work. I know. You thought all I did was build gates and play with steel and stone.

Actually I think it must have been growing up on farms in Arizona. If it's got a grain to it I like playing with it.

What? you say? Steel doesn't have grain? You'd better go back to school. Steel has a grain, like a real fine wood.

This involved two pavilions, an arbor, and a little fencing.

This is one of the pavilions.

Image011.jpg

2. wroughtn_harv

I got to start off with rough cut cedar beams and find the shapes and finish we wanted. Not unlike picking up a stone and removing everything but it's personality.

Image007.jpg

3. wroughtn_harv

Here's the other pavilion. The fence is in the background. BTW these pictures were taken 2004 and the job was done in 2000-2001. It's survived.

Image007.jpg

4. wroughtn_harv

This picture is the front of the arbor. You can see the fence. And that panel on the right side of the post is a cabinet.

Yeah, I know. Sometimes a fence isn't satisfied being a fence wants to have a hidden side. :rolleyes:

Image014.jpg

5. wroughtn_harv

This is looking along the arbor. The joinery is a combination of hidden fasteners, (stainless) mortise-tenon, and Gorilla Glue. Everything was cut and fitted. Then it was stained with Penofin. After that it was assembled. I had one man working with me and we did all the wood and fence work.

Each picket was rabbeted on both sides and we used stainless ring shank nails. There is halogen lighting in the pavilions and the arbor with the wiring hidden and the lights recessed. We got lucky and the color of the fixtures blends them into the wood so they really aren't noticed until in use.

There are two cabinets. Each one is weather resistant with a one piece aluminum top and back. The shelving is aluminum too. The doors are stainless framework with pickets.

Image015.jpg

6. wroughtn_harv

If you look at the first beam carefully you'll see one of the recessed lights.

Image006.jpg

7. wroughtn_harv

This is another pavilion we built on the property. On this one I had a good friend who's an excellent carpenter lead me through it. We removed a pavilion that looked a lot like this one that was three feet per side smaller and a foot and a half shorter in height. It's redwood clearheart and hardi materials. I cried when the painters went after that clear heart redwood with paint.

Image018.jpg

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

holy cow you do some awesome work :cool2:

9. wroughtn_harv

Thank you.

Every now and then you get a customer that appreciates what you do enough to have lots for you to do.

This job was very special. When we originally started I couldn't walk where all this is. It was a thicket buried behind a four hundred foot deep lot. It was literally impassable.

Here's a shot of it during construction with the masons working on the brickwork while we were working on the arbor.

project 10-13 arbor looking north with masons.jpg

10. wroughtn_harv

This is a shot of the detailing in the cuts of the pavilions

the project, north pavillion looking up.jpg