Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by nt1, Mar 30, 2007.

1. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of start up tools will I need other than the welder itself?

Tools that come to mind are: Angle grinders, face sheild, protective clothing,
    metal chop saw, gloves, and ?............

I have some simple projects on trucks and trailers that I have in mind.

I think I will be purchasing an arc welder for simple trailer repairs, maintenance, and some minor fabrication (racks, cages, and so on).

I have never done any welding, so any other tips would be helpful
  2. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

Chipping hammer, wire brush mounted on you grinder, a drill press, a good 1/2 chuck drill, a good set of drill bits, a cutting torch, a bench grinder (not everything can be hand ground well). The auto-darkening helmets are awesome (unless you are working in the sunlight) but can be quite pricey. Always wear safety glasses under your helmet when you are welding.
    I can't hardly go without my air powered die grinder, my 4" hand grinder is awesome, but I have to use my air powered die grinder so much to get into tight places.
  3. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

dont buy an arc welder, buy a flux core if you want something simple and easy to use, just buy a good angle grinder, like a dewalt or makita or something that will have some power and last, then you need a helmet, just get a cheapy to start with, 15 bucks or so.
  4. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

Isn't flux core the type of rod or electrode? Could I not use a flux cored rod with an arc welder?
  5. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know a whole lot about welders but isnt flux core a type of wire run through a mig welder its basicly taking the place of using gas as a shield i believe. If you dont run flux core you can run regular wire with the shielding gas but it doesnt work that well in wind thats flux core advantage i believe
  6. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

First off, before buying any hardware, go to AMAZON.com and look up welding books. I don't have the time to do the search for you but I know there are lots of beginning welder books there. They will explain everything you need to get going. I wouldn't waste my time with an arc welder. Go right to a MIG and start there. The only problem with a MIG is that you use a tank of inert gas, CO2/Argon mix. In windy conditions outside the gas will be blown out of the weld and it won't be a quality weld. Do some reading and you will get the idea quickly. And start with some practice pieces, don't go right to a trailer repair or project till you figure things out. Good luck.
  7. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

vntgrcr cant you use flux core wire when out side to weld? I know the weld will not be of the same quality as using co2 and argon but cant you use it or am i mistaken?
  8. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

You can get a small 110volt wire feed that will do most repairs and fabrication up to 1/8 thick metal. They arent that much and are easy to use for a first timer. You'll need a helmet and gloves. A long sleeve COTTON shirt works fine for all but overhead welding or serious cutting. A grinder is nice,since the prep work is very important. Clean metal! You can buy the cutting wheels for the grinder so that saves on hacksaw blades and such to cut your metal. Flux core wire is good for beginners. Easy to weld, no shielding gas needed.
    Also I would say to take a course in welding at your local community college. Cheap, usually about 60 to 70 dollars and worth every penny! And of course check out weldingweb.com. Lots of info there!
  9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Head over to weldingweb. They are helpful.

Get a Hobart Handler 140 will handle both flux core and CO2. Flux core is helpful if you are welding in the outdoors. The wind or breeze will blow the gas away and the weld quality will suffer.
  10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Welder's Handbook by Richard Finch.........AWESOME BOOK! i read it cover to cover twice before ever picking up a single welding rod