We'll aerate your lawn for $40!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by twins_lawn_care, Sep 17, 2003.

1. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I know you guys have seen the companies handing out these flyers, "We'll be doing your block next week" etc. etc.

Well, my question is, do you have nay success with aerating in these areas even though these guys are coming through with dirt cheap prices? We are currently pricing about $11 per 1000 ft^2, and think that is a fair rate.
    Just wondering if it is worth going over the same area they already have?

Any thoughts, comments appreciated, as I am learning a ton from this forum.

Thanks Everyone:blob4:
  2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, Definitely!!! We charge twice what those companies charge for aerating. And I sell dozens of aerating jobs every season. I always call all of our [170] clients every spring and every fall and sell them on aerating. I truly believe in aerating. But I can't and won't compete with those $40 guys. And you'd be surprised how many people don't even realize they could get the same job done cheaper. They're happy paying us $80 or more for the same job that one of those guys would have charged them $40 for.

Every time I call all of our clients, I always have a good 30-50 takers. This despite the fact that there are 4 full time ($40) aerating companies constantly bombarding my neighborhoods with their flyers.
  3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Like Jim said, approach your regulars first. Sell the benifits of aerating, not the price. This is the first year I've offered aerating and am amazed how easy it is to sell. As soon as I get a rider I'm buying a Gator Rator. Talk about a money maker.
  4. JimLewis

Yes, you definitely have to sell it. About 50% of the time when I am calling to ask them if they'd like us to aerate I get a response like, "Oh, I don't know. Is it really all that important?" or "I just had it done in the spring. Do I really need to do it again?"

These open ended questions just mean the customer is questioning the value and asking for your reassurance. I always assure them 1) I am not doing this for the money. We make more profit doing other work. 2) Yes, it's very important to aerate twice per year. And I go on to explain the benefits. 3) I always explain that it's one of those things that you will never notice unless you DON'T do it. It's like vacuuming the carpet. Nobody ever comes over and says, "Oh wow! You vacuumed!" But try not doing it for a month and see how people react. It's the same with aerating. The ground compacts more and more over time and the lawn won't be as healthy and lush as it could be if the ground were less compacted. But when you aerate, you just KEEP things looking nice.

Stuff like this will almost always turn a pessimistic customer into a buyer.
  5. above all

above all LawnSite Member

Jim, greetings from Bend, I have enjoyed your post since joining the site this past year. Again you have hit the nail on the head. Your good customer will pay you to do first class work. I aerate my clients in spring and fall ... No questions asked or sold. Its' part of the yearly package that i sell.. I do not sell lime, ferts. seed. trimming or blowing. I just do it and i have found that by holding my standards high, I attract a better client that will pay what as needed. No PITAs'. No one calls complaing that their lawn does not look good. because they do .. I do not have to skimp, on anything. No " i don't need that" NO "does it reallly have to be mowed this week" etc. Jim again thanks for being apart of this site. I love your standards ! I am Above All
  6. JimLewis

Wow. We go over to Bend area a few times per year. I'll have to look you up!

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't mind me saying, another selling point can contain the words "Because of recent conditions....". For instance, I'm not sure on the exact weather conditions for your guys' area, but here, we had a great wet spring - plenty of moisture in the ground. Then, throughout the year, we went to almost drought conditions, causing the ground to become even harder than it would have without the first moisture. Often, we have used the "Due to this season's drought-like conditions, soils have become more compacted than they would with normal moisture content. Therefore, core-aeration at this time is of great benefit for the future health and well being of the turf areas.";)
  8. Haley Lawn Care

Haley Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from NC

Around here you have some price shoppers. Most of them are looking for the cheapest they can get. Some folks call me wanting aeration and say "i have a small yard". Here I am scratching my head and thinking that they dont understand much. Anyway my lowest is $40.00 for a 20 min yard. The average rental rate here is $50.00 for 4 hours. So $50.00 to $70.00 for a regular yard is a very good price. It is actually cheaper than they could do the job themselves. So I agree that the best thing to do is call your old and current customers and sell them the idea and benefits of aerating.

David :)