well, another fine mess i'm in.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 21, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i had to open MY BIGGGGGG MOUTH!! i put in some azealeas for a regular customer the fall before last. this past summer they were infested with aphids that sucked the heck out of them.i did agree after i planted them to keep an eye on them, and i didn't, by the time i looked at them, they were real bad. they weren't dead but looked real bad, i figured it would take at least 2 yrs for them to recooperate. the lady is a great payer, and really loved those azealeas. i told her i'd replace them for her, on me ($9 each, no biggie) well, i went by today, and low and behold, they have a ton of new growth on them, and are about to bloom, they look fine to me. i told her i'm not going to replace them. her problem is now, not that i won't replace the plants, but she was tickled at the thought of getting something for nothing. now she is hinting that i should give her a credit on something else, since i'm not replacing the plants. i was in a terrible frame of mind today, and to avoid freakin on her, i told her i'd get back to her.you know damn well if i was gonna replace them, i'd make it up somewhere else. what the heck do i do now. no, i know what to do, but what would you do?
  2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I would give the new plants, I would ask her where she wants them and plant them for her, if she's been good to you then why not, just make sure she knows why your doing this. You are sticking to your word.:D
  3. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

There's no need to replace a good plant, what if you offer to fertilize them now and then in the fall?
  4. bobbygedd

from NJ

but then, the old plants become mine. i was going to remove the old(unhealthy) plants, and put in new ones. but, the old plants are in fact healthy and well, so, should i take the old ones, and put in new ones?
  5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

The agreement was to replace the Azeleas but they are doing fine... so I wouldn't do anything.
  6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Tell her you'll make it up to her somewhere else.
    It'll just get included in the price anyway.........won't it?
  7. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Wait till you get some left over plants for other jobs, and just give her some left overs. I overbid a job the other week by a few yards of mulch, and I've just been using that extra mulch for small jobs around here and still charging people for it. Comes in handy:-D
    Maybe just give her some pillows...:-D
  8. bobbygedd

from NJ

my mindset is, i don't owe her anything. but now , because she's selfish, she wants something for nothing. this is why i hate to be nice to people. a year ago i would have laughed at her request, and told her i should be paid double just for having to look at her gigantic underwear hanging from the clothesline every week. but now, i'm trying to change my ways , and it is a hassle for sure.
  9. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

how about some annuals. Cheap, relatively speaking. You can get a few annual flowers for under 20 bucks.
  10. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

just came up with another idea. Keep the original agreement. Pull those plants out and replace them. Plant them in your yard until you get another buyer.