Well... bought a harley rake

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Lawnworks, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I know I am kind of doing this backwards, but I purchased a harley rake for my future skid on ebay. I have a question though. I am wondering if I can haul this attachment in the back of my Ford Ranger. I figured the gas difference b/t the Ranger and my Dodge 3500 flatbed will be $200. How much does this thing weigh?? 1000 pounds? Here is the link to this bad boy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280062687482

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

good luck with your new toy

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

that's gonna be fun to get into the back of the ranger. I think it'll be too wide. I recently added timbrens to my Toyota and it handles weight 10x better now a ranger is very similar in capacity. If its too wide to fit in the bed you can put it on top of the bed if you strap it down nice and tight on top of some pallets.

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I assume you mean to pick it up from the seller not on a day to day basis right? If that is the case put the end gate done bring some straps and you should be good to go until you get home. Off loading it without a skid steer or excavator might be tricky.

5. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

Ditto.....Good luck getting it out of your Ranger!!!

6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

skid steer with a bucket and chian and you can use the bucket for the extra reach and you should be fine getting it out. Nice rake you'll be happy with it. They save a ton of time.

7. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

I Don't think he has the bobcat part of the equation yet????

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Should weigh right around 1,000 pounds. Our MX6 weighs 1,090, but it's a little beefier and has a hydraulic cylinder. I don't see any way possible to get that in and out of a Ford ranger, let alone the weight of the thing totally toasting the suspension. Not a good plan.

9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

From what I understand it is about 1000-1200 pounds... too much for a ranger? It doesn't look like those caster wheels will slide back like they do on my little harley rake. What do you think?

If I can get it down here, I can get it off. I have got a mini skid... might be too much weight for it though.... got access to other equipment also.

I have a harley rake for my miniskid, and they are the only way to go for what I do. I paid 6k for my little 48" harley... I sure didn't want to pay 7.5k for another one!

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

There's no way the Harley you bought weighs more than 1100 at the absolute most. Yes, it will be too much for your mini to lift, that's for sure. That and the attachment plate size is different, but you probably already knew that. :rolleyes: