1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Well boys, we need some rain.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JLC, Jul 5, 2001.

1. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Earlier this year I posted a thread about mowing in the rain. Now I can't water the lawn enough. I've got lawns that haven't been cut in two weeks that haven't grown period in that amount of time. I've basically shut down until it rains. At this point it would do more damage to drive across the lawn on a heavy mower than the good of knocking down a few straglers. I can't even get down my summer fert it is so dry. Lawns are downright crispy underfoot. Feast or famine I guess. This sucks.

CLARKE LawnSite Member

I just take this time of dryness and get all my bushes
    trim up at this time of driness, trim bushess is easy
    and keeps the money comein in. but if it stays dry any
    longer just rent a watering truck and start watering
    all your lawns. Just kidding about the watering truck.:rolleyes:
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We need rain real bad here in the Chicago area. It is getting very dry. We will be skipping all our Friday lawns tomorrow. :(
  4. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Need rain? WOW have we had it here in Nashville TN. Too much as a matter of fact. Summer pattern for sure. Those storms that just blow up, wash everyting away in a torrent then mr. sun comes back out. We had tornadoes today then it was just beautiful. Wish I could spread it out for us and you guys. Even things out. But just remember, it can always be worse!
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

We are finally getting our share here. Had 2 record months in a row $$$ wise.
  6. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

:) Sure glad we irrigate here plenty to mow all the time.
  7. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Well, if you say my thread titled "fire" then you would see how dry it is here also. I think we have had about two tenths of an inch of rain in the last 3 weeks or so. I had a nice easy week this week (which is ok) most lawns are slow (not all are as bad as the one I posted a pic of) I do not have to work on Fri. Seems wierd EVERYTHING is caught up. Oh well I can use a long weekend.
  8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I hear ya, crazygator! What a day to try to get caught up from yesterdays big festivities. :D

Looking back over my schedule sheet it appears that we've had some sort of rain towards the end of the week for over a month now....

..cause I've had to play "catch-up" the last 5 saturdays in a row.

Evening showers...please keep coming....yeah!

At this time last year I was not mowing AT ALL because it was too dry....stopped on the last week of June and started again the 2nd week of August (6 week dry spell) YUCK! And then there was November...:rolleyes:

For some reason I'm REALLY dreading August this year. (praying).

9. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I can relate, it rained so much here in the gopher state I had yards with standing water until two weeks ago. I passed on ten of 16 yards thursday, even irrigated yards are dry. I needed the help to catch up for the holiday. Hope for some rain soon.

Freaky weather year...

Good luck everyone
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

We've had 8.7" of rain since Friday. It's just been one T-storm after the other.