Well guys, went comapring mowers and power tools today.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gizmo_019, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

I start out by going to a dealer that sells Exmark, Dixon, Snapper and White for mowers and Echo Stihl and Shidiwas ( sp? ) for tools. I walk in and look at afew trimmers, I was mainly looking for an Echo SRM-260 and an FS110 to compare. Didn't have either in stock, but saw a prcie tag for an FS110 and it was $379.99+tax. then I looked for blowers, didn't find any echo blowers and only 2 Stihl hand held with one backpack.

So I move to the mowers, which I know what I want as far as Exmark is concerned, they only have 2 on the floor. A Lazer Z Hp 23/52 and a big one with some 72" cut. I want a Lazer Z Hp 19/44. Well this lady come up and asked what I was interested in and then she got her little book out and told me the list for a Lazer Z HP 19/44, then said that it was going up and the final price would be somewhere between $7,800 and $8,000. After that she starts trying to sell me on the Dixon which I don't want. She says they are better than Exmarks and cheaper too. Well I picked up afew brochures and left to my next and last place to visit.

Next stop, a Hustler/Cub Cadet dealer. Well the guy is real friendly, talks to me, but he has no Hustlers o nthe floor but says he has 6 coming at the end of this month/ first of next month. Told him I was interested in the Mini Z 19/44. He tells me the list is $7,499, but he will know $1,000 off and let me have it for $6,499 right off the bat. I was kinda shocked because I figured the Hustler would be higher than the Exmark. I want the Hustler more anyway, so I think that's what I am going with. He explained the warranty and it is a good one, told me how long it wouldtake to get and so on. Well I told him I was i nthe market for a trimmer and blower also. He only sells Robin and to be honest I have never heard of one. So he tells me they are in the same boat as Stihls and Echos but are alittle easier on the pocket book. He only has 1 straight shaft in the store because he said that in the last 2 weeks he has sold 24 of them. He told me that the Arkansas Highway Dept. bought afew and the rest went to commcerial LCO's. Even said one LCO traded in all 6 of his Stihls for 6 Robins. He tells me Robin has a good blower too, but he has sold all 8 of then i nthe last 2 weeks and is waiting on another shipment.

I am positive I have made up my mind on the Hustler. He told me he would give me a good deal if I decided to get a trimemr and blower to him, and said next week he could have a demo trimmer and blower for me to try. He also offered me a demo on the Hustlers when he gets them.

This is my first time shopping for a mower and it is a pretty massive purchase for me at 17. So I was wanting to get some opinions from the pros on this. I was also wanting to ask about the Robin equipment, and whether or not Hustler is the right decision. I just wasn't too impressed with experience #1 about the Exmark deal.

2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll start by saying I'm not the type to bash any equipment someone else uses. If it gets the job done for you, that's great. I've learned it is most important to have a good dealer who can keep your machines up and running. It sounds like the second dealer would work for you. Go with the Robin tools and Hustler and establish a good relationship with the guy. He will more than likely help you quickly if a machine goes down. I have a guy here who will do repairs for me while I wait, and if he can't fix it right away, I get a loaner. He has even repaired my snowplow at 3 am in the middle of a blizzard. Needless to say, I don't shop around.

3. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

Thx. for the words AL. I think I am going to go with him. He told me he that is his specialty is keeping his customers machines up and going. He has loaners most of the time but he said this is just an odd time he is out of almost everything. I don't know if he would do 3:00 in the morning stuff, but his house is right next to his dealership.

On another note, this may need to be in a separate thread to get noticed but, how do you guys go about buying a blower? what specs do you look at, mph or cfm? The robin blowers seem weak compared to others. The bigest handheld, a 4 stroke, model FLH2500 has a rating of 358 cfm and 145 mph. While their only backpack, the FL500, has a rating of 530 cfm and 260 mph. Still debating wether or not to go backpack. As of right now, I only use my blower on 3 out of my 7 residential accounts. But my plan for next year is to get around 3 to 5 more accounts. The way I am thinking, with a time saved by the ZTR, I can get 3 to 5 more yards to do and work the same amt. of time next year as I do this year and make more money.

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Gizmo, as far as blowers, I pretty much buy along the lines that my dealer carries. I ran Echo backpacks for years, and started over to Red Max in 2001. I don't think I have looked at a brochure in the last 5 years, sorry don't get too excited about the specs. See if it is possible to demo the blower and see if you like it. You just dropped (or are about to) 6-7K on a rider, I think he will work with you. Also, my dealer really doesn't carry a large inventory either. He usually has all of the two cycle equipment, but only a few walk behinds and push mowers. If I need something, he will order it for me. Good luck in building your business. Mike

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you have found your dealers and brands.

I think Hustler's reputation preceeds them.
    Visit their forum here and bear in mind "who else is here or still here?"
    Nuff said.

As for the Robin brand... they make great stuff. They would be my next choice after only Stihl. I really like their trimmers, especially that little featherweight NB020. The blowers are OK too and have some nice features as well. They are just not in the same league as the 'big-boy' leaf blowers is all...

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would go to place #3 if that exists. I cant beleive these dealers dont evan have stock to buy. That is absolutly amazing. Ever go to a car dealer that doesnt have cars? Nuts.......

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

In a lot of areas this is nothing out of the ordinary.

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I cant beleive that. I mean I beleive you, but dont get it. I can see the big $$$ mowers, but trimmers and blowers?

9. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

i frequent about 3 dealers between Ft Wayne and Indy and everyone of them is always stocked

Muttons in Ft Wayne Sells simplicity stihl exmark john deere

East Allen in Woodburn john deere scag echo

Reynolds in Indianapolis john deere, dont remember the others

Hendrens in Franklin john deere lawn boy (atleast they used to) stihl and ferris

they are all great dealers and i will drive the 2 hours if they have what i need

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I use Robin trimmers and are well pleased with them. I have a NB2050 that is 3 seasons old and still going strong. A great trimmer that weighs only 8.5 pounds and has a steel shaft that you can put a blade on if you need to. It has a 20cc engine and its not the greatest for brush clearing, but for weekly trimming, it is very good. I have a stihl fs85 I use for heavy trimming and for using a blade on but the stihl weighs 3 pounds more. Im a solo operator and use a trimmer alot and beleive me 3 pounds is alot on a trimmer. I dont own a 4 cycle Robin yet but I have a friend that does and he is well pleased with it.
    As far as blowers goes, I cant comment on Robin blowers, my dealer doesnt stock them because he is a Robin/Stihl dealer and says that the stihl blowers are much better.Maybe he just makes more off the Stihl and doesnt want to stock the Robin, I dont know. Anyway I thought I would pitch in my 2 cents worth on Robin trimmers ..........I LOVE THEM