1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Well I did it!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Went out and bought me a new 48" Tiger Cub, little Echo blower and Shin. T260 trimmer to start the business.... The bank was easy to work with and gave me a rate of 7.5%, now all I need is to find a trailer and I am ready to land some accounts...

If I don't find any accounts this year, I am going to look like a fool mowing my yard and then parking it in the garage... :)

Next up, meeting with a lady in the morning to design a logo so I can get some flyers out and business cards printed..
  2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Best of luck to ya..

Do you have any accounts?
  3. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Not a one!!!! :)

For now my 9-5 job will have to finance this venture, which is fine.. Long term, I feel like I need to spend money to make money, show up to to make bids with a nice truck and good equipment and produce a professional image from the word go...
  4. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Business Cards, Business Cards, Business Cards, work the best for me, also take out an add in the service adds in your local (or target area) paper. If really serious, get a hold of your yellow pages asap to be listed in the next phone book due out. ( don't wait or you might have to wait a whole nother year) goodluck Marc

Are we having fun yet!!!:blob2:
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

well u are set now . just need to learn about the buisiness,and get some customers.who knows this might even be the best way to start. instead of starting with just a simple mower an trimmer ,and seeing what u can do. u now have a sizable investment ,so u gotta make things happen. like i said ,could be the best approach.good luck
  6. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

How much was everything?
  7. jaredslawncare

jaredslawncare LawnSite Member

If your are looking for a trailer I know it would be worth it to go to Goshen,IN To a aplace called MSI trailer sales, the prices are great every trailer under the sun but they arent friendly but the price makes it well worht your trip!

Jared's Lawn Maintenance

A little more for a lot less
  8. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

My Yellow Pages ad was the worst mistake of my history in this business!! I got calls from everywhere except my service area. Spun my wheels giving estimates for people that never had any intention of using my service, but instead only wanted a "free consultation."

Stick to flyers. You can target exactly the areas you want to work in. Factoring that you'll get a 1 - 2 % return you simply need to put a corresponding number to pick up the business that you are setting as a goal.

We've also found that street signs are extremely effective for services such as aeration and leaf removal. There is a city ordinance banning them here, but by the time the city calls and asks you to remove them, you've already picked enough new customers to make it worthwhile.

Yellow Pages are great for dry cleaners and radiator shops.
  9. The Mowerdude

Please indulge me a few words about flyers.

Flyers work period!!

There are some caveats:

They need to be placed at the proper time of year for the service being offered. In most cases, there will be an extremely low rate of return in our area by the first of June. By that time, everyone that is going to use a lawn service, already has one lined up.

500 don't get it. You need to put out a couple of thousand minimum in order to screen out the lowball hackers and the fussy complainers and still come up with enough customers to make a living.

IMO, I prefer to print 4 to a page using Microsoft Word. Then I take my "master" to Kinkos and have them cut them for me as well. 500 sheets will be 2000 flyers.

I choose white paper with blue ink because our trucks and shirts are lettered that way. You can choose what you want, but I really don't think there is a wrong combination.

I AM however, very insistent on 110lb paper. That's approximately the same thickness as a business card. It has springiness and when you roll it up and stick it in a door, it tries to unroll and it stays put.

I only put them in the front door. That's because it is the ONLY place you can legally put it. Not the mailbox and not any other door. You have a constitutional right to enter anyone's yard as long as you are making a path straight to the front door and you can thank the Jehovah's Witnesses for that:

Jehovah's Witnesses vs Belle Meade, Tn.
    Jehovah's Witnesses vs Ladue, Mo.
    Jehovah's Witnesses vs Stratton, Oh.

These are 3 examples that I'm aware of where these municipalities adopted ordinances banning door to door solicitation and arrests were made. Apparently the Jehovah's Witnesses have some killer lawyers. I know the Stratton Ohio case went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court and they ruled that No city or township has the authority to restrict any type of door to door solicitation. It's a freedom of speech thing.

Also, don't do a couple hundred flyers. Do a couple of thousand minimum. That's so that you get enough calls to screen out the low ball hackers and the fussy habitual complainers and still end up with enough business to make a living.

I wish you success.
  10. The Mowerdude

I'm going senile in my old age. I'm repeating myself.
    I'm going senile in my old age. I'm repeating myself.