well i finally am not a.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frontier-Lawn, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

lawn virgin any more.:p today i forgot to put up my gate and drove away from a job with it down :realmad: i guess it wont be the first & last either :dizzy:

2. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

welcome to the club drink and be merry

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

was it as good for you as it was for the trailer..... :p

we got gate lift assist systems on our trailers. someone would put gate up but not put in pin. it would stay up until you topped 40 mph, then..... lets just say people quit tailgating you!

4. garth1967

i had a clown not hook the trailer on properly twice both times during peak hour traffic- he wont be doing that again

5. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I had a clown hook up everything on a gooseneck trailer except the pin that locks the trailer on the ball. Drove about 15 miles with a tractor hooked to a stump grinder on the trailer. When I backed the tractor off the trailer...the trailer popped up off the ball. I could have killed someone that day if that trailer came off. I hate to even think of that day..........In most cases I always double check the hook ups..not that day. Scary deal...

6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

My cousin recieved a 1/2 million $$ settlement in cal 1986 some contractor's driver did'nt have his triler properly hooked up it came off and ended up in the fast lane of the 91? (I think) in Riverside. Three cars ended up hitting that thing, one dead and 5 injured. When I hire someone new I always think about that.

7. garth1967

bloody hell scary stuff im just happy nothing tragic happened its a fine line sometimes

8. garth1967

sorry az didnt see your post

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Now no offense but my trailer gets padlocked ON. Only someone with the key can even THINK of taking it off while the padlock sitting on the tongue is a neat reminder the trailer is NOT hooked up 100% (even if it's hooked, the padlock goes THROUGH the hole THEN it gets latched - The KEY is attached to the Truck's keyring AND the key STICKS in the padlock until the padlock is latched, then it releases).
    Leaving the trailer behind (unhooked) means the padlock dangles from the keyring until such time the trailer goes back on, the extra heavy weight on the keyring really works as a reminder, at least for me.
    Now I work solo so I don't have the problem of being so stupid as to latch the lock outside of the hole for the purpose of removing the key to remove the weight as this defeats the purpose, heh...

Last but not least, a bit of theft prevention.

10. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

my last time it was in front of an audience. the trick was to make it LOOK like" I meant to do that" " thats the best way to get the grass off the tailgate". I my defense I was sick as hell that day and I even trimmed one lawn and started to drive away forgetting to mow[sinus infections can make you light headed]. Luckily I remembered and finished. That would have been embarrassing too!! Congratulations on the CHERRY THING