Well I got my Mantis Tiller

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by sheshovel, May 11, 2006.

1. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

And guess what?It quits on me..just shuts off..unplug the wire to the kill switch it fires up and runs great.Plug it back in and even if the red switch itself is ON position it cuts off.What a pita and they left me on hold for 1/2 hour trying to call them!Hung-up in frustration!

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Mantis tiller and have had great luck with it. The only time mine wouldn't crank was when the cable for the on/off switch came loose. I put some cable ties on it and have not had any problems. I would take the Mantis back to your dealer and make them fix it.

3. Duck Dodger

Duck Dodger LawnSite Senior Member

I have used mantis over 10 years now they rock. She maybe you just got a lemon?

4. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

I think I have the troy built lemon. Same design as the mantis...little heavier duty in my opinion but sometimes the recoil doesnt catch until I bop the machine on the ground....then it catches. I have one more small garden bed to till then it's going back to Lowes for a replacement.

Thoese little cultivators rule though. A must have.

5. ArkansasLawns

ArkansasLawns LawnSite Member

Have you given the Mantis a nick name yet?

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I was at my dealer the other day. Someone came in with an internet Mantis and wanted him to put it together!!!
    Anyway, I rented theirs yesterday and it does rock. It has the Echo engine.
    I'm going to buy one and the hedge trimmer attachment.
    Oh yeah, back to the topic, it's probably a wire!

7. Jnamo

Jnamo LawnSite Member

Mantis-
    the "Power Weasel"

They do rock! Love those little dudes!

8. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like a couple of wires might be crossed????
    Quick question for those of you that have the mini cultivators. How well do they work if you are trying to till up grass to make a new garden or enlarge a planting bed? And are there any other uses for them other than tilling?

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Great as long as it is not sod with that green netting behind it it tills grass up good.You can also dig holes with it,edge with it,weed with it and lots of other stuff.
    I actually did not look at the directions because they were confuseing me?So the first time I assembled it I put the handles on backwards..did not work that way at ALL!LOL!

10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

The Mantis is a great tool to have..once you get it all straightened out you will love it.