well I had it

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mower&more1986, Oct 21, 2007.

1. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

I tired of going to war over my ford ford explorer" me and my mother both own the ford explorer". I need a truck that i can take just about anywhere. so I had to part with the 1989 ford f350 crew cab 7.3 diesel because it was just to big and get better mpgs. so went and bought 1998 chevy k2500 reg cab.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0UP5Rx_vbU
    I will miss the ford f350 but things are changing. I need to think about moving out someday........

2. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like a really nice truck congrats:weightlifter:

3. mower&more1986

4. mower&more1986

5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Good luck with it. Sorry to see the old ford go---this one will cost a little more when things break.

6. DieselOnly

DieselOnly LawnSite Member

If you go to dieselplace.com, you can learn a lot, get 200+ RWHP, and have one of the most fuel efficient, reliable trucks on the road. Biggest reliability issue is a $600 literally permanant fix. Nice truck, looks good. Good engine if you know what you're doing. Congrats.

7. mower&more1986

the only thing the truck needs is a different rear bumper that will allow a receiver hitch which i got a estament for removal of the old bumper and install of the new used bumper and class 3 trailer hitch was $417 wasn't much different from other places around.

8. DieselOnly

DieselOnly LawnSite Member

Does it have an under-the-bumper PMD/FSD relocation kit? If not, get one. The PMD, in its stock location, often failed, and the 1000-2000 dollar pump was blamed. This is where the engine's reliablity reputation came from. It's also known as gutless, but it can cheaply be upgraded to stock early Duramax levels, if done right. These are pretty much the cheapest diesels you can get. They are cheap to buy, and cheap to maintain, if you know what you're doing. If you don't do any homework on the engine, maintanance can easily run you broke. Much cheaper to own and maintain than the Duramax, if you know what you're doing. Injectors for one of these run less than $400.00 a set. Duramax injectors are about that for ONE! The few of us 6.5 enthusiasts have a slogan: 80% of the Duramax at 20% of the price.

Remember, the 6.5 forum on dieselplace.com is your best friend for this truck.

Also, if you don't mind, why'd you decide this engine, after all the trash talking of it on this forum?

9. mower&more1986

I never did any trash talking about this engine that i can recall
    I use to have a 1994 chevy k2500 with the 6.5 turbo diesel didnt have much problems other than fuel injetor pump and oil leaks.
    seems like this truck has more power than my 94.
    I never have had any power issues before and still dont.
    I just wanted a truck to pull my enclosed trailer with my quad or lawncare stuff. the biggest thing I like about this truck is the auto trans sorry i dont like manual very much around town or on the hwy with the way some people drive. as far i can tell theres nothing wrong with my truck other than the rear bumper hitch which I may have replaced.
    to be honest I wish i never got ride of my 94 chevy 6.5 turbo diesel that kinda why i got this one. I amidit I like chevy better than ford.
    but anyway as far as the pmd goes Ive found good website where i can get it from when it goes. http://www.ssdieselsupply.com/
    like i said as power wise goes this truck is perfect for me
    I want a truck not a hot rod

10. mower&more1986

do you know where i could find that under-the-bumper PMD/FSD relocation kit
    like a website
    i need to check if its been done. if not i'll do it.