Well I happened again

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packerbacker, Apr 5, 2004.

1. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to bad of an offseason except for 2 customer losses.

Got a call the other day from a customer, for 5 years i have been very good to her. Her yard has always been mowed on time, it was always kept free of leaves in the winter and the gutter were also cleaned. She tried to get someone else to clean the gutter this past winter and they screwed her. So in Jan i was on a ladder chipping away at the frozen leaves with a screwdriver.

She called me yesterday to inform me that after 5 years she was firing me and the fertilizing company because it was too much of a hassle to write out 2 checks.

I like to call that just being lazy

PART 2

2 weeks a get a call from a customers neighbor. He's been trying to get ahold of his LCO for 3 weeks to no avail. Even tells me the # is disconected. He asks me if I would be interested in cutting his lawn. I say sure, no prob. I go over and cut it the next day, even spend time doing the extra thing by cleaning up some leaves and i dont even charge him extra. He then goes on to tell me how great it looks.

Yesterday i get a call from him telling me he found his guy. The guy was at his house in Mexico and just made it back to the states. I laughed and said

" Wow i dont have a second house i think i need the money more, well if he ever decides to leave the country again and not tell his cutomers give me a ring"

WTF is wrong with people??? Where is the loyalty in this world???? I lose a customer cause she doesnt want to write 2 checks and lose another cause his first LCO leaves the country???? Sounds F****** backwards to me.

Good news is i got an email from a 4 acre church and my bid was accepted.

2. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds normal for Australia, it stinks, I know how you feel.

Absolutely no loyalty here, none.

And then there are the ones with overgrown jungles that sound like it is suddenly important to get the grass cut, then complain and not pay because the clippings are still visable (acreage mowing), they want to turn a jungle into a manicured lawn for the price of cutting a normal lawn, this is the year of the weirdo, strange season....

3. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

I think the world is going crazy too.
    People don't seem to think straight anymore.

Not to get off the subject,
    Tonyr,
    Do you ever run into those giant stinging killer ants you have in Australia that live in the ground?

4. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't get a customer because I bid $21 instead of $20. Nothing new, people bend over a dollar to pick up a nickel all the time. Had one guy say he paid $X last year, but was unhappy with the work. I bid $X more. What, does he want me to take the work at the old price? That's why he got the quality of work he paid for......

5. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Packerbacker,
    I have always said it: loyalty is a oneway thing.
    There is loyalty between you and your customer but NO loyalty vice versa.

I mowed a lawn last year, one of my best lawns (± 1,5 acres), and me and my wife went out of our way to do a fantastic job of mowing this lawn and keeping it trimmed and groomed. Stripes like you wont imagine. We sometimes spend 3 hours working there. I left the lawn in the late fall with not a single leaf on it ready for us to start the spring with a crisp green lawn.

I send out my renewal letters but never heard or got anything back from this client. I made a followup call and got told: "O, this kid came by and was wanting to mow our lawn. He's doing it for the same price you did last year. He is just starting off this season and he has a push mower. We had too many problems with sprinkler heads that broke off last year"

I thought WTF? Sprinkler heads? Do they actually have an irrigation system in there? They have'nt even had the sprinkler sytem going and the sprinkler heads are so overgrown you cant even see them! Why did you never told me I broke a sprinkler head? And if I did broke one off, I am man enough to tell the client and to repair or replace it!

See, all of a sudden they were looking for unjustified reasons why they didn't award the contract to me again.

I am at a point where if I loose a client, like you did, because of disloyalty towards me then I am ready to let them have it. I am not even going to waste my time and energy to try and win them back. Those type of disloyal clients are just abusing my good loyalty I've shown towards them at my cost and expense. They are too cold hearted to feel anything for you.

Now they are abusing this new kid's good loyalty.
    PC

6. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I understand what you mean PCN, but to me every dollar counts, ive always been fair, honest and upfront with my customers but to tell me they just dont want to write out 2 checks is load of BS

7. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

++++2 weeks a get a call from a customers neighbor. He's been trying to get ahold of his LCO for 3 weeks to no avail. Even tells me the # is disconected. He asks me if I would be interested in cutting his lawn. I say sure, no prob. I go over and cut it the next day, even spend time doing the extra thing by cleaning up some leaves and i dont even charge him extra. He then goes on to tell me how great it looks.

Yesterday i get a call from him telling me he found his guy. The guy was at his house in Mexico and just made it back to the states. I laughed and said

" Wow i dont have a second house i think i need the money more, well if he ever decides to leave the country again and not tell his cutomers give me a ring"++++

Exact same thing happened to me last week. One cut. Then I'm fired because their mexican guy showed up after having his phone ring disconnected all spring.

I agree. Pure BS. I pay for an ad in the yellow pages, which is how they found me. I'm also responsible enough to keep my phone connected and working at all times. We pay all these costs and we still can't win.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

8. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Showed up to mow 3 of my yards today for the first time and they were already cut. Fairly good size yards. All were cut with push mowers. Talked to them in January and they told me they wanted me to do them. One of them is elderly and her sister is cutting it for her due to financial problems. Her sister told me it was harder than she thought, and if it becomes a problem, she will call me. I told her that I may not have any openings by then. At least have the decency to call and let me know instead of letting me put them on a schedule and show up.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

there's a sucker born every minute

10. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Riches139,

er, no....

Didn't know we had any like that, we do have your fire ants now though :)

Ants aren't the worry, it's those damn snakes.