1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

well i made a trade this morning, stihl for redmax

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snapper, May 24, 2006.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

Well i bought a stihl fs110 about a year ago. I loved it but the weight and handle grip were killing me. So i was talking to my dealer today and he said he would trade me his redmax bc225dl, straight up. Well i mulled it over and swapped. The redmax is a few years old but still has awsome compression and didnt look too bad, so i gambled and traded. He had used it personallly so it doesnt have a whole lot of hours. This thing is only 22.5 cc but this things screams abd it takes down anything i have tried. And the weight is amazingly light. So i know i lost in this deal but it was worht it to get sometthing i am going to use a whole lot more. So anybody have any comments about these particular trimmers?? Did i make a good swap??

later! chris
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know because I never tried redmax but the weight of the Fs110 is tough and ALL Stihl handles blow as far as I'm concerned.

It is the reason why I bought an Fs100, also all my Stihl trimmers get an Echo D-handle installed.

With the Echo D-handle, the Fs100 is nice.
  3. ow man

ow man LawnSite Member

A very wise decision! I've had great luck with all my RedMax's. Loved the BC225DL they now have out an even lighter unit. Its called the TR2300S Its 21.7 cc's straight shaft, and is full commercial. Exactly like the BCZ2400's but smaller engine and not Stratocharged. (still a 2 stroke though) It also still has the solid steel drive shaft.
    You made a wise move. You'll love it.
  4. coyotekid

coyotekid LawnSite Member

I don't run anything but Stihl trimmers in my business, but it seems like I need a lot bigger trimmer than some of you guys run. I run an FS250 for most work and an FS80 for the wimpy stuff.

I put bike handles on all my trimmers and would never go back to a single handle without a full harness...that's just me though.

Sometimes I'd even like a bigger trimmer such as an FS350!
  5. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I have the exact same trimmer. Mine is about 5 years old, and although I have recently had some problems with it(nothing serious, and this after 5 years of mistreatment), I can attest that they are awesome trimmers. great feel and lots of power, I have cut through some thick stuff with it no problem. Never used the Stihl unit. All I can say is that you should not be disappointed because the bc225dl is a great unit.
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

getting rid of any sthil trimmer is a good decision as far as i am concerned.
  7. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

well i used it today and this thing is stout for its size. Mid throtttle handles the short stuff the wind her up and look out thick stuf. I dont know how they get so much torque out of something so small. Evem with a littler longer line than what the guard would have allowed, this thing still winds up and screams.. So as of right now, if the current 24cc series is as good as this older unit, i forsee selling my 260 shindaiwa and getting a redmax replacement. Any comments on the new generation??

later! chris
  8. coyotekid

coyotekid LawnSite Member

Interesting...I always thought most considered Stihl the "cadilliac" of the small equipment, but to each his own I guess.

I've got a good dealer for Stihl and I have no reason to switch right now...I'm really impressed with the quality of Stihl products.
  9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have a recent redmax 2600 stratocharged . once i put on a cutting head that i liked -its awesume. very powerfull and light for a midsized trimmer. i used to love shindy till they got ruined by all the emmission controls. -the 231-sucks! dont buy one! i have switched to husky for the light trimmers. great so far. sthil -too heavy -bad carbs and ing coils.
  10. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

ive got an older fs85 and a newer fs110, my brother loves the 85 better and i like the 110 better, though the 110 is heavier, and doesnt rev as quickly as the 85, i still like it, plenty of power.