Well, I sprayed chelated iron,,,now what?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Ron95gt, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Ron95gt

Ron95gt LawnSite Member

I have St. Augustine and zoysia growing with no trees anywhere close.
    I have a 575' well that doesn't have iron in the water. When I lived in the city the St. "A" was a darker green, so I figured I'd shoot some iron. Got the Ortho hose end out, marked off 1,000 ft, fiddled with the sprayer(water) till I found the setting that looked to put an ounce per thousand out. Sprayed some Roots Fe8% last Thursday. I can't see where it's any greener. Saturday, I bumped the sprayer setting 2 more notches and sprayed a stripe down the middle of the zoysia. It's only been 48 hours for that one, but still don't see any evidence. I give up, what am I missing here. You guys say it will turn it so green it will hurt your eyes. Do I need to water it in? Not knowing what I'm doing, I used the sprayer in a manner as if you were painting a wooden fence. I'd go up, turn the sprayer on, walk back in a straight line, spraying about a 6 foot wide shot, walking backwards slowly. Then move over 6 foot and do it again. Help me out. More iron? Water it in? What? Thanks for any help.:confused:

2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

might wanna pull a soil sample

then you wont have the guess work

3. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

and you may want to go back to the label on the product. The rate that you applied is for maintenance of color, not corrective. It also looks like you chose the rate for low cut turf, i.e. greens, and not typical residential, longer lawns. For a change in color, it looks like rates three times higher than what you applied is what the label calls for, every two weeks, or doubling that rate for a 4 week push. that puts it into similar rates of many other iron products that don't show much effectiveness until you get into the 6oz per thousand range.

4. Ron95gt

Ron95gt LawnSite Member

Whoa, 6 oz per 1,000? I've shot a couple more times. Bumped the sprayer setting up 2 clicks, sprayed on some zoysia. Nothing. Bumped it up another click and sprayed another stripe thru another patch of St. "A". The label didn't mention anything about different blade heights, minimal info on there. So, you should or shouldn't water it in? So, the blades suck up the iron, rather than it soaking into the ground and running up thru the blades?
    6 oz per 1,000 is gonna run into some $$$$. This Fe8% isn't cheap.
    Thanks again for the help.

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

nothing is cheep when it comes to green

6. rough cut

rough cut LawnSite Member

Why not try some granular fe like Ironite?

7. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

You're right, it isn't talking about specific cutting heights, but it does talk about site types, greens, fairways, etc. and that is the clue to height cutting if you know how those are dealt with. Yes, the majority is taken in foliar, the reason you need to more of a coating to cover a deeper turf. (you can see that also suggested when it comes to the tree and shrub foliar rates) Remember, it the active ingredient, in the this case the iron, that needs to go down at those rates per thousand, not a diluted end product. Meaning, if you are putting down four gallons of water per thousand for instance, that four gallons needs to have in the neighborhood of 6 oz of the product in it. Many of the liquid products can show rates as high as 12 oz per thousand,but until you know you won't "black up" the lawn at those rates, start on the lower end. For the record, a hose end sprayer is not the most accurate tool in the world..lol..you may want to do as suggested and buy some granular ironite and attack that way.

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

well said green