"Well, I use a rake......."

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, Nov 14, 2003.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Got started on a cleanup the other day. I'm blowing leaves off the driveway when the next door neighbor drives by and flags me down. My first thought is great, maybe another potential job. Well read on!! I'm Mr. Blower, the neighbor is Mr Rake.

Mr Rake: Hey, I've been outside painting my house and have had to listen to that blower all day ( it's 2:30 )

Mr Blower: That's funny, I've only been here 1 hour.

Mr Rake: But you have been doing other jobs in the neighborhood.

Mr Blower: Nope, you must have me confused with someone else.

Mr Rake: That blower is very loud.

Mr Blower: Sir, If we lived in a town that had noise ordinances, you might have a valid point, but this town doesn't.

Mr Rake: Well, I use a rake on my yard.

Mr Blower: I'd be more than willing to use a rake if you pay me the extra time it would take to do this job.

Mr Rake: How much longer would it take??

Mr Blower: Oh, about 5 hrs @ $50/hr.

Mr Rake drove off!!! The nerve of some people. I was thinking of showing up at 7am the next morning and cranking up the blower, but I know the people I'm working for are night owls and sleep till 10 am.
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Dont pay attention to pr--ks. My advice.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

good story
  4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Get some foam ear plugs and keep em in your pocket.Next time someone complains hand them a pair :D
    Or you could just yell,"Huh???SORRY,I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THIS LOUDARSE BLOWER".
  5. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

PS.Rev the throttle a few times and blow up some dirt for affect.
    Just kidding of course.Can ya tell it's getting late here?
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I did a lawn install last summer and the Neighbor comes out and chews my azz for waking her up [it's about 8:30] and I'm not to put a tire or foot on her property. This is in a new development and only a cople houses have yards and hers didn't, just plain old hard dry clay. I tell the guys the deal and to stay off. were just about finished and the bitc*^ drive away but she leaves all her windows open. I power broom sidewalk and drive and I even tell the neighbors they may want to close everything up for a few min. But on this fine afternoon the wind was just right so I fire up the blower and have the biggest cloud of fine dust blowing right in those open windows, She comes home and I'm in a cloud yet when I can just make her out unlocking the door. I shut blower off grab power broom and finish up the clean up. OUT she comes calling me words I'm not even sure Iv'e ever heard before. She screaming her new house is a mess and its going to take a month to clean it and she wants to know what I'm going to do about it. I kindly explained that I informed all neighbors to close up for a few min. and they did, and they have no problem. [Remember wind was just right] She runs over to a couple of neighbors and they tell her I did ask and all the rest. Now she's back in my face telling me what an azz i am and she gonna sue me. I finally tell her to fuc^*off and I call the cop becoase she's threating me. Cops show up and she runs right over and tell how I destroyed her house. Cop ask me if I did it and said yep, told about neighbors and told them she told me not to put foot on her property. Cops tell her "what did you expect him to do mail you a letter saying he was gonna clean up" the womans going totally beserk won't shut up so the cops ticket her for disturbing the peace. She stomps into the house and we start laughing so hard that one of the other neighbors walks up to us and I figure I went to far this time but he tell us thats she's the neighborhood pita and thanks us for giving her a taste of her own medicine. And the best part is I did the install on the house on the other side of hers about 2 weeks later. Never heard a peep out of her.
    Sometimes,not often,rarly but whhen it does all work out its so sweet. And no it was not professinal but dam it felt wonderful.

7. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

I had this job that was booked in for 9:30am thursday every week and every week I got this stupid cow yelling and carying on about the noise. Ya know...stuff like Shut that mower the f#ck up ya f'n ---- etc.
    We had a big storm that brought down a tree right next to her place. I was informed, it had to be removed by my client.......Hehe

So I booked it in for 6:30am and me and a helper went down there with a Huskvarna 395xp and sthil 029 a and just raised hell.

She was going on and on and we were just laughing our azz's off :) Then she obviouly snaped and threw an old pallet that was on her side over and it hit my help on the back sending him to the ground with a running chainsaw in his hand.
    I called the cops and they took her away for negligent misconduct and GBH.
    She was evicted from that house arfter the court case.
    It's quit a peaceful job now........Ya know.....No unusaly large projectiles being thrown over the fence and no cursing from the fatty.
    I got rid of her pretty quik and I see her from time to time walking down the main st in town and go out of my way to shout across the street "HI MRS ****** HOW R YA" with a big smile on my face :D She gives me the finger everytime without fail and I love it.............So satisfing.

8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Pinnacle, not trying to change the thread but, did you get your mower problems resolved? One hell of a story mate.
  9. woodycrest

woodycrest LawnSite Senior Member

Too funny, Pinnacle....:D :D
  10. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Yep all sorted locutus.

You saw the GD forum did ya??

The day I poted my complaints I had been bogged twice (around an 2 hours each time to get out) and when I got to the tip (45min drive) there was a sign saying "Close due to unexpected circumstances" So I was like "Ok Alex don't lose the plot here mate, and go of ya nut........serenity now serenity now"........Ya Know what I mean mate........I was real close to just going right off.
    So I figure I'm out this way I might as well go cut Mr Tanners lawn (5 acres)
    I'm about half way through and the I notice the the deck is cutting uneven and I'm SCALPING the f#ck out of mr Tanners lawn. I get of and inspect the unit and find that the whole right side of the deck has just fallen of my new Charriot with only 8hrs on it. This was the finnal straw and I just went of my nut, kicked the mower and hurt my foot, going off saying all sorts of things and turn around and see Mr Tanner standing up on the hill behind me shacking his head with his arms folded watching me nurse my sore foot and swearing ALOT.
    He comes down and asks me what happened and I explain my day and he says "Not good enough Alex we will not require your sevices any more" So I say ok and at this stage I'm ready to snap the next bloke that even looks at me. As you can probably imagine??

I just had to vent my fealings and my dealer was closed (not his fault anyway)

But yes mate to cut a long boring story short It's all sorted now.
    My dealer pick it up the next arfternoon and had It back to me (delivered) the next day. Very good service and a realy nice guy.

I'm over It all now............I spouse that most new mowers have a few ups n downs before there set up is spot on.

Thanks for asking mate!!