well im intreaged

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by 2brothersyardcare, Aug 4, 2011.

1. 2brothersyardcare

2brothersyardcare LawnSite Silver Member

what is so bad about using stone dust for base?

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

It does not comPact as tight as crusher run.

And is a breeding ground for effloresence (sp)

Posted via Mobile Device

3. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Just don't use it, holds water, and can deteriorate concrete pavers after a while. Many other reasons that have been discussed here numerous times in the past.

4. TomG

TomG LawnSite Senior Member

Holds water is the main problem. If you use it under most manufactures brick it will void their warranty on the brick because most manufactures say the base has to be prepped to ICPI standards and stone dust is a big no, no with ICPI. And many other reasons like the others have said...

5. DVS Hardscaper

Cept Tom, we Lawnsite Gold Star members try not use use the word "brick" when referring to pavers :) You build walls with brick, and pavements with pavers :)

Ok, so you may have a few jobs where you used stone dust, right? No need to lose any sleep. We did our first paver install 15 years and 4 months ago. I think we used stone dust for our bases for at least the 1st year, maybe the 2nd year as well. Now, we DO have geo-textile fabric under even OUR FIRST paver job, and all the jobs that have followed. And no one has called and said their patios have vanished into the earth! Our 2nd job was done for personal friends of mine, whom I am still in contact with to this day, their patio has stone dust for a base, and all is well.

6. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Most guys in this region still use stone dust. I buy my sand a tri-axle at a time, cost me somewhere in the range of 800 dollars. Stone dust is 300, here lies the main reason people don't want to know why they shouldn't use it.

7. 2brothersyardcare

that makes since my buddy did clay pavers years ago and said that stone dust was all they used so i was going to ask why its bad.

8. DVS Hardscaper

Zero - $800 for sand???? Whoo we that's alot!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. 2brothersyardcare

so the stone dust messes up the top of the concrete paver

10. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

It holds water which releases efflorescence in the pavers. Yes it messes up the top of the paver.
    Posted via Mobile Device