Well installations

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by wfd523, Aug 12, 2011.

1. wfd523

wfd523 LawnSite Member

Hello I am new to this forum and find the information very helpful. I have done about a dozen installations all using city water supply. I have someone that wants a job done but they already have an existing well. My question is that I tested the psi and gpm at the spigot. the psi was done with a gauge and gpm via the bucket test. Is this an acceptable place to take these readings for my design. From searching the internet I see some people actually tie into the water line right after the pump to take readings. I find this a lot of work to give an estimate and don't think most homeowners would want you to do that just to get a quote. They had two quotes already one guy tested same spot I did and the other never even looked at the pump well or turned on the water. any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Wells can be tricky , the bucket test is fine , but not accurate at all . what is the recovery rate of the well . What type of well is it , drilled , driven , shallow , deep . What horsepower pump , what size pipe ? Pressure is easy go inside and look at the gauge , its between 40 and 60 psi , thats the factory preset low and high limit . Get the information off the tag on the well , find out who has the records county or state
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes, the two smartest things you can do with respect to well water installs, is to run the supply through a 100-mesh strainer, and to write your proposal in a manner that allows you flexibility with the number of heads and zones.
  4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

All of the above is moot, except for MD's comment unless you know the re-charge rate of the well. In WA State, it is required and recorded on a "well log" , that not only the driller, but the State has on record. PSI & GPM are bs until the re-charge is known.
  5. Wet_Boots

I had a homeowner show me such a log - not accurate, not even close.
  6. Mike Leary

That's par for your kind of clients. :p
  7. Wet_Boots

Hey, the check cleared - a prince among men payup
  8. Mike Leary

There are more mature methods of pump-down tests than the bucket.

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Dont bother sticking a pressure gauge on a well. What ya want to know is depth and flow rate.Sometimes this info was written on the pressure tank by the installer a lot of times it isnt. You can call the installer and get the info.

You can also ask the customer if he currently waters with hoses and if so does he run 2 at once and what happens when he does.If he says he cant or he does and they get weak after a 1/2 hr, definatly contact the well installer as there is not a whole lot of water there.
  10. Not a well man but out of curiousity does the recharge rate change over time or during the season?
    Posted via Mobile Device