Well, it backfired today.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LwnmwrMan22, Apr 1, 2005.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Last year, in the spring time, I was working 80-100 hour weeks with all the rain we had gotten.

This year, I wanted to drop about a day's worth of work, just to get some time off once in a while.

I really hate telling people you're not going to be servicing their account, in case later on, you'd like to rebid. They're left with the thought "why would we hire you again, just to drop us again?"

Instead, I raise my rates. This year all of my accounts were raised at least 10%, and 4 of the 30 were raised upwards to 50%.

Today I drove to a Wal-Mart that I maintain, about 4 acres of grass to cut, where the manager had been putting me off and putting me off with giving the okay.

I had raised the account from $9,450 to $12,000 for the year. I was all ready to be put off again, at which point I was going to recind my bid, for hopes of dropping an account.

Instead, I got the go ahead.

I raised all my rates in hopes of losing some accounts, and I got them all back, along with more jobs to bid.

I hate telling people no, in risk of burning bridges, but the way I went about it, it just backfired.

2. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good backfire to me. Now you can afford to hire an extra worker or two and still take some time off. And you'll get paid for it.

3. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I thought this was going to be about a motor backfiring. My mower backfired the other day for the first time, and I almost crapped my pants. Scared the devil out of me.

5. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

That has to be the worst backfire ever. payup I don't see the problem. Higher an employee, heck, higher 2 and do the desk work.

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Pay a little more attention there in Jr High kid and a little less on mowers.....that's HIRE an employee

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

My bad, just got back on vacation (you need to take one) from MEXICO, i'm a little tired.

9. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

YOu got a green card son?

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, now that's great! I wish I could say the same, I really do.

That's a problem a guy is lucky to have in all honesty.
    Most of us have to claw in order to renew at a small increase to cover fuel and a cost of living raise.