Well it is here

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mark B, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

this is the best part of da year fer me. The red drum are startin to swim along da beaches and look for hooks to bite :D . So I guees I will have to make the trip this Friday. Lets hope that I find me a 50lber :D Ya'll have a great weekend.

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Send pics of what you catch :)

3. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

Sleepyhead,

You need to get down here, southern Louisiana. The reds are here all year long. In the summer they are in the marsh. You fish for them in shallow draft boats in 1 - 3 feet of water. In the winter, when the first fronts come through, you catch them leaving the marsh. Some days you leave them bitting. Limit is 5 under 36 inches. Limit was 50 before Blackened Red Fish. Over 36, limit is one.

Under 36 inches we call them Rat Reds. Over this we call them Bull Reds. I prefer the Rat Reds because they are so plentiful. Pretty easy to limit out here all year long. Never seen a 50 pounder.

Sam

4. Mark B

I seen the BIG reds last fall at caple hatteras. Along with some yearling 30"- 40" fesh.

5. Mark B

Well I just got back home from a great rip to da point. :D I ended up with 2 drum real close to 40" and 1 pup that was in da high 20's or low 30" range. We had a great bite going on the whole weekend. I will be returning in 2 weeks. :p