Well, it looks like I have to fire one

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Well it sounds to me like you cought him in a flat out lie,and he had your truck.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Now it begs the question.....Where are the doorhangers?

3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Good question. I would want those back. Letting him throw them away is like throwing away money. As for the crappy employee...it's better that you found out now, that he's a lying theif, than later when he could have cost you a lot of money.

4. RB Lawn

RB Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Ga

I'd tell him I want the doorhangers back, or I deduct the price for them from his last checkpayup

5. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

i agree you made a good move getting rid of him. One thought is you warned your other employees of the secret shopper now if another is a dishonest employee you might find out a harder way. I always test new workers with simple things after they get in the comfort stage, but never come clean and let them no that I was testing them..

6. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

It sucked letting that poor guy go. He seemed to really want the job. I just can't figure out what happened.

He insisted he delivered the entire route. Problem is, I have not received a single call from this route yet. If I had a few calls from that route, I could assume that he delivered part of it and I'd give the guy a second chance. But I have ZERO calls from that area and it's been 48 hours. 80% of the responses come within 48 hours of the delivery. I can only assume that 100% of those door hangers went in the trash.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

7. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Could your employee have gotten the wrong route?
    BTW what in the heck is a secret shopper?
    Either you are checking up on your employees or not!
    Simply state!

8. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Couldn't now use a crew leader to deliver them?
    More than likely, I would ask him where he had put the door hangers after the fact you caught him in a lie. Then, if you don't get them back, fire him and with-hold the cost amount of door hangers plus 30.00 for him lying to you.

9. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I would suggest using people OTHER than your workers to pass out door hangers. Passing them out sucks, sometimes no matter what the pay for some. The workers would rather be running equipment, at least making lawns look good rather than the mind numbing physical job of putting hangers out.

10. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

He really wanted a paycheck, but it's obvious he didn't give a hoot about his job, typical.