Well Light spacing

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Flow Control, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

What distance from a home do you find to be optimal for well lights?

2. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

that's a subjective question if you want hot dramatic light with limited width of scallop you place close. if you want more diffuse you place further away. White walls can show reflections from grates or styrations inherent in MR-16 bulbs so some times ya gotta use spread lenses. To hell with all of youse who say I don't know squat.:clapping:

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Depends. Experiment some and get the look the homeowner is wanting. For uplighting with bullets we go anywhere from real close to over 12 inches away or even more if there is a ledge or something to over come.

Be sure your not putting well lights in a flower bed or other mulched area. I asked about this and we got several replies not long ago read back a few pages and find the threat titled pinestraw and well lights

4. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't like hot spots, we don't use MR-16 in well lights, we use PAR36. Would you guys agree 12-18"?

5. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

nothing wrong with MR-16 wellights from Atom or F/X.

6. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

we used the mr-16 wells from Cast, and was not to happy with the results either.. the local "cast distributer" told me that most guys are unhappy with the mr-16 cast well, and stick to the par-36. frankly, im not becoming the biggest fan with Cast.

7. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I find that a good wash light works well for grazing walls.

8. High Performance Lighting

High Performance Lighting LawnSite Senior Member
    from So Cal

"im not becoming the biggest fan with Cast."

jb, what's wrong with Cast?