Well Light

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by trailboss, Jun 30, 2009.

1. trailboss

trailboss LawnSite Member

Over the past couple of years I havent used very many well lights due to the problems that I have had in the past with water and fire ants. I am finding myself wanting to use some here and there in my designs but was curious what everybody else was currently using?? Do you like the Par 36 or the MR16 or 11? Which fixture do you find has the best adjustment and durability? I would really like something fairly deep so as not to be looking at the source but I still like a wide beam spread in most cases.
    Any input and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Steve

2. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I have not installed a par in long time. too many expensive bulbs replaced under warranty was damaging my reputation and pocketbook. Leaves, insects, etc add to the misery. I use wall washers when you really need the floody beams, but mostly 60 degree mr-16's. mr-11's are limited to 30 degrees of flood, and tend to not last as long as mr-16's as a rule. But I do use them on gutter mounts pretty regular.

3. emby

emby LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

My experience with well lights so far have been pretty good. I tend to only install in the turf with lots of gravel and piece of pvc about a foot long leading out of the hole for drainage.
    Have not used the PAR lamps as I have only used MR 16's. Lots of degrees to play with and wattages.
    I am currently working on installing 4 of these into stamped concrete. Conduit is running under the ABS and lots of gravel. The hard part for this application is finding a sono tube that is the same diameter as the ABS. Might have to modify something to create the form for the concrete.
    Anyways that's my 2 cents.

Ken

4. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

CopperMoons cm360 fits real nice in a 6" sonotube

5. emby

emby LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Thats too funny. That is what I am installing but we measured the brass grate and it was only 5 and three quarters. I was worried that the grate will not cover the hole left by the sono tube. Thanks for the tip I will try it out.

Ken

6. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Man Dave, I dont' know what kind of pars you have been using but I am getting well over a year on all of mine without any problems at all. I use all GE lamps exclusively on all pars, t-3s, MR16s and 11s. The old tractor light is my preference for washing architecture as I have done the side by sides and it gives a wider, smoother spread than the MRs, especially when you add a lense to it also. Just my preference, I won't knock anybody who uses an MR exclusively though. It is a personal preference and for the way I design the par just works better for me in some instances than the MRs do.

7. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I mainly well lights with PARS. I have had bulbs last 2-3 yrs. I do run into every once and a while with the screw on the bulb that will be loose just a little bit. I think the contraction and expansion cause that.

8. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

9. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Heres the new ROOT Well Light....Lets see the knockoffs copy this!!!

[​IMG]

10. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Whoa!!! That is some aggresive turf grass.