Well lights or bullets?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by vjmac887, Apr 8, 2008.

1. vjmac887

vjmac887 LawnSite Member

I would like to hear your opinions about well lights for an installation at a commercial building. The building is brick and I would like to use the grazing technique to illuminate the building. The base of the building has beds that are heavily mulched. I feel that the well lights would do a better job of grazing the brick than bullet lights but am concerned about debris settling on top of the well lights. In the past I have had a few well lights buried with mulch and occasionally leaves. Thanks!

2. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

Coke or Pepsi? You decide

3. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Debris covers.

4. vjmac887

vjmac887 LawnSite Member

I am familiar with debris covers, but it seems that mulch and leaves can lay on top of them. Possibly using well lights that are raised a few inches above ground is my best bet.

5. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

If you feel like you have to use a par lamp, why not use an above ground par fixture?

6. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Paul gave good advice......http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/BIGBANG.htm

If they are going to be mulching I highly recommend you go with an above ground light. Fact is even if you leave those lights up a few inches when they come to re mulch those guys wont give two craps about the lights and they will mulch right over them anyway and it will and could smolder and melt the light. Just go above ground and be safe and be done with it. Dry mulch and well lights just dont mix!!

7. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

we use a lot of big bangs for that reason. We still use well lights, but only where there is no mulch, bark or drifts of leaves.

8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree ... you should go with an above ground. Depending on the situation and desired effect you could use a bullet...wash light or something like the big bang if you want pars.

9. vjmac887

vjmac887 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice guys!

10. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

mulch accumulates on the big band just like it does on or in a wellight when it's pointed straight up. For that matter just about any fixture will hold some degree of mulch on the lens. If you don't want to get hit by a car then don't attempt to cross the street.