Well, looks like I'll be having disappointed customers for Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, it's looking like I'll be getting a whole week off for Thanksgiving. Rain forecast Monday & Tuesday. Started pretty hard Sunday night and hasn't stopped yet. Too cold to be out in the cold pouring rain. Plus I'm sick.

It's supposed to clear up on Wednesday, but snow is forecast for Tuesday night. So Wednesday might be a real mess. Then looks like rain for Thanksgiving day, which will likely prevent me from working for those who also work on Thursday and celebrate Friday.

Guess they will just have to recieve guests with the grounds a wet leaf covered mess. Not much I can do, but they will be disappointed. I always try to make everything look like a million bucks for show on turkey day.

Oh well, guess I'll just sit home and get fat.

2. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Maybe teh same here. It has rained pretty much all day & all last night. Got a house to wash but I don't know about doing any leaves now.

3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I'm in the same situation. I think I might make a go of it tomorrow. Wet and cold. Probably do alot of blowing and tarping.

It will be OK though....Happy Thanksgiving:D

4. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

Wed is usually a big day for me getting customers cleaned up for t-day. It may be a bust this season. It is supposed to be windy and rainy Tues here and breezy Wed. I make sure and knock on doors this time of year for the so so customers and get their aproval of price for work even though I do the same services every year. There are still many of my customers who have not lost all thier leaves yet. I may be working well into Dec. if it doesn't snow. Homes with Bradford pear trees don't loose thir leaves for a few weeks yet so it helps extent the season.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have only one absolute-must do and I can it done Wednesday.

I can't even imagine anyone going out and doing cleanups on Thursday. Thanksgiving and Christmas are the only times of the year my family gets together and I wouldn't want some jackass running blowers, leaf loaders and other machines for hours on end next door to me.

6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like Wednesday will be OK. I have four that requested clean-up prior to Thanksgiving, so we should be able to get it done. We are having 22 of my wifes family here on Thursday, so I might try to blow some leaves here Thursday morning:cry:

7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I scrambled yesterday to get my largest cleanup done before all the wet weather, unfortunately today is a wash-out. I might be able to get one or two in, I told every I will try[/] to be there by thanksgiving. Guess that's not going to happen this year for everyone. Still got a half dozen or so to do.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I know most people want their property to look decent on Thanksgiving Day and all. And most of us here want to do whatever needs to be done. But sometimes that just isn't in the cards. Now, if this was a 4th of July outing, I could understand, but who is gonna be looking outside at the yard while eating their holiday dinner?

Life goes on, trust me...

9. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I always ask via the billing in october if anyone is having comapany on t-day to let me know so I can come by this week on M,T or W to make it look good for company. Only 2 of 75 customers called to request I come by this week. So, I did them monday knowing the weather would suck the rest of the week. The rest of the fall clean-ups I don't even start until december as there are always still lots of leaves on the trees here, but I pretty much go to every house every week and clean up a bunch so none are too bad at this point anyway(zone 7)

10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, how has that approach been working for you? In CT, we have close to the same weather, have you often times been cut short of cleanups due to snow?