1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Well lost my first account today....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Said she didn't like the way my "big" mower(36" Exmark) made her yard look, was used to a 21" mower.... Not a huge deal, but feel a little bummed, sort of like I did a poor job.... :(
  2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't sweat it. I'm sure the lawn looked better being mowed with your Exmark rather than a 21". Some people are just stuck in the"Back in the Old Days" . I've had people like that you just have to educate them. You'll soon replace her.:)
  3. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

It really gets to me when they say 'You mow too fast, my husband never cut it that fast'. Usually some old, old gal who does nothing but complain. My standard answer to that complaint now is 'He probably mowed it slow so he could stay out of the house'. Usually keeps em quiet.
  4. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

Don't let it get you down. It's not fun to lose an account, but you can't keep everyone happy. Continue to do a good job and you will attract and keep those who appreciate quality work. (Big mower or not)
  5. Did you leave tire tracks?
  6. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

hang in there....i think i have dealt w/ my share of difficult people this year also...rarely have any problems but it is seems to always be an elderly customer(just an observation)
  7. griffy

griffy LawnSite Member

I hate to be the turd here but Ive been cutting residential for 6yrs with a 21in JD
    then moved up to a 48 this year and i have to say i think the 21 makes the yard look better. The larger mowers tend to tear the yard up a little easier with the tires and you run a chance of scalping. It can leave the yard looking a little choppy in places if the yard is uneven. But screw em if they dont like it you probably wouldnt of wanted them for a customer anyway. You will never be able to live up to their expectations.
  8. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

The yard was brutal, several spots were they trenched and the ground settled creating several low spots.. I mowed it at 3.5" to avoid the scalping, but she wanted it mowed lower so mowing it at 3" made it pretty tough to not scalp, but I thought I did a pretty decent job after the first time or two, even using my 36 instead of the Tiger Cub for this specific reason...
  9. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Don,t sweat it, you were doing a good job and more good customers will come to you. Mabey ask some of your other customers if they know of someone. I find the referrals from customers are the best.

I know how you feel. I had a customer for 2 years, she gave me referrals. Then they moved to a home with about 2.5 acres to mow. I was cutting with a 48 inch turf tracer, and just purchased a lazer. The lazer zipped right through the job. She apparentley timed me and insisted that I lower the price because I was done so quick. I stuck to my guns and eventually lost her. I still do her aunt and another that she referred me to. I was pi$$ed at first but it worked out well .
  10. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Griffy, If you just got the 48 this year, keep practicing, you'll get better. I have had customers tell me they thought a 21 did a better job than a big mower, I tell them, " I just can't see how a dealer can get 5,000 dollars or more for a machine that doesn't do as well as a 21 inch mower." Other times I tell them, "Actually, a reel mower does the best job, would you like me to give you a price on my doing it with a reel?"
    Jon99's second post reveals the fact that the customer wanted a lower cut, resulting in scalped spots. Maybe Jon knew what he was doing at 3 and a half inches. I would have reminded her that lowering the cut was her idea.
    Hilly or bumpy lawns are best done with a 21, though. Leave them for the neighborhood kid.