1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Well now I have seen it all. (scrubs)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chuck Sinclair, Aug 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

I took the family to South Lake Tahoe for 4 days of fun in the sun and decided to take a walk to the lake and kick back for a while. when I got there I noticed two guys mowing a small lawn using a 21" scotts mower and a cheap echo trimmer after looking around I see their truck Hmm looks like scrubs so I watch for a while. The guy on the trimmer is trimming around the chain link fence and when the string hits the fence he backs off the throttle and steps back then goes back and starts again. Then I hear the mower stop, turns out it ran out of gas. then I hear them talking about needing gas for the mower (They didn't have any in their 2 GAL can) so they see the parks dept mowing and he walks over and ask them for gas, it took some talking but they finally gave them the gas. the guy says thanks, we are here every Friday on our route and will repay the gas next week.

So that must be were I'm gong wrong I bring my own gas :D
  2. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Good story(hehehe).Damn government workers.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Sounds like they need a price increase so they can buy their own gas. :D

Now you will have to go back next week and see if they bring the gas back to the Gov. workers. :)
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They probably would have HAD gas in their can if they hadn't had to use it when their truck ran out on the side of the road while they were on their way to that job. :rolleyes:
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The first of last week I saw a Jeep CJ7 driving with a small platform on the back bumper carrying a 21". The trimmer and whatever else he had was in the back of the Jeep. Later in the week I was at a homeowners assn. area parked and came out and he was parked beside me. He was mowing someones tiny back yard. This stuff was at least 4 ft tall and he was back there with a 21".
  6. coldlake

coldlake LawnSite Member

:mad: If you are from Sacramento, then you may have also noticed that some of the Sacramento Sherrifs dept work details are supposed to work public lands. They also do private, kinda hard to compete with free, and to add insult to injury, we pay teh taxes to pay for their equipment, although not safety equipment because they don't use it
  7. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you guys ever think that they might not be cutting grass for money or proffesionaly? Maybe they owened the land and rented it out or somthing like that. So we always have to assume scrub?
  8. Loosestrife

Loosestrife LawnSite Member
    from PA

And no "professional" contractor ever ran out of gas???
  9. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Loosestrife has my point exactly
  10. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Its not a bad idea to carry a gas tank in the truck though!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.