Well Pump Cycles every 30 seconds

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by level4designs, Jul 7, 2014.

1. level4designs

level4designs LawnSite Member

Hello:

New poster here, but I have a 350 foot well, and the 5 hp motor cycles when I irrigate every 30 seconds. 30 seconds to recharge, 30 seconds to drain. I have an older style bladderless tank that is about 200 gallons.

So I thought I was water logged, so I drained it, then filled it. The water comes up, hits the air control valve and closes, so then it charges and runs between 45 and 75 psi.

No effect though, same 30 seconds. I am only running 4-5 rainbird 5000 sprinklers with 4-5 gpm heads, the well gets about 20-25 gpm, so this seems reasonable...

Is 5 hp motor just to big? should run more continuous shouldn't it?

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

You need to be using more water. Either nozzle up or possibly try running 2 zones at once.

3. level4designs

Do I run the risk of running it dry?

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

What A-1 said, you need to be into that pump ASAP. Did you get a well log from the drillers, you could have other problems.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Probably not. You say it gets 20-25 GPM. Where did you come up with that number?

6. level4designs

we just bought the house, we had the well checked out, we had it tested for GPM, I think they said 22 gpm.

We also lowered the well down 60 feet... they just put a new 5 horse motor in it before we bough it...

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

at 22 its chance of running dry is slim to none. Tell us more
    how many zones
    how many heads per zone
    what brand controller ect

8. level4designs

and need to clarify, we didn't drill it 60 feet deeper, but we were getting something like 9 gpm in the well, but the pump was like 80 feet off the bottom... so we lowered it down 60 feet, so it's about 20 feet up from the bottom and then we now get 22 gpm just by lowering the pump down to the bottom.

as for stations, I have about an acre and I run a hunter pro c with all rainbird 5000's. I have 12 stations total. each station only has 4-5 heads on them, and they run 4-5 gpm nozzles on each... all pretty similar really.

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Wow , may want to consider going in the other direction. Nozzle down to 1.5-2 gpm nozzles.And put a small delay between zones.

10. level4designs

hmm, when we got it, our local landscape company had put in 6 stations here and the whole system, so we just followed what they did on the stations when we added the next 6.

They all had 4 gpm heads on them and run 4 nozzles per station, so I followed their design... seemed logical :)

you think it's not keeping up? (delay between zones?)