Well Pump Cycles every 30 seconds

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by level4designs, Jul 7, 2014.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Talked to rob at cycle stop just a minute ago Bernie. He said that he'd be happy to explain why the pressure relief valve was placed at the well head and why it should be relocated downstream of the valve.

When you call, ask him how he likes his new F-350. It's a funny story. :waving: 1 (800) 652-0207
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. enorl76

enorl76 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Orlando, FL

I second this. A cycle stop valve is a Fantastic addition to any system. It will prevent the cycling. I have installed into several so far and they work very well.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Is the pump on a steel drop line?

4. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I have no idea how big this property is and what size main but 5 hp is huge.
    Sounds to me the pump is way oversized and the tank is either faulty, old or undersized. CV's are nice but not a cure-all.

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Not if they're lifting 5-700 feet. Look at the pump curves.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I thought this is a submersible it is pushing and only feeding 4-5 residential heads per zone.

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Perhaps Mr. Mod Mike was correct in moving this thread: things are getting complicated without any of us knowing what's going on with the well. My limited experience tells me the well was not done right and the zones prolly were too large. I'd still be getting a pump test by someone different than the installer.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The water level in the well is probably very low, but for an acre, even at 350 feet deep, a 5HP pump seems a bit much.

What are the pressure switch settings?

9. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

On the same zone on which the OP nozzled down by half GPM,
    suppose he nozzles down by half one more time, bringing the zone gpm to 1/4 of the original gpm,
    if: this broght the cycle to two minutes.....would this point more strongly toward an insufficent replentishment flow of water source?

(i have no idea what we are talking about I am just gambling/trying to learn)

10. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

If the pump is short cycling, he doesn't need to use less water, he needs to use more. It's short cycling because the pump is rebuilding pressure in the tank faster than the zone is depleting it. The way to solve that is to combine zones to increase flow, re-nozzle existing zones for increased flow or install a cycle stop. I suggested a cycle stop because I haven't seen the system so it's the only solution I can safely offer without knowing what we're dealing with.