Well talk.....

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Feb 27, 2009.

1. I'm trying to buy a really neat property that has a house, workshop, etc. Everybody has been scared off because of the water situation. It used to have a spring fed well. Not very deep from looking in the casing. After a big flood something happened and the well quit getting spring water so the previous owner put in a 1000 gallon cistern. Wells further up the canyon have gone dry over time but as far as I know this one was caused by the flood. In the ditch beside the property along the road I see water pools. We've have had no rain. The house next door has a working well. I'm offering a price that if i don't ever get a well put in it would still be worth owning the place even if I have to haul water in to the cistern. I'm trying to get a mortgage with an extra 20,000 for trying to get a well put in. They don't have a aquifer here it is just water in fractured rock. just below this house is a smaller canyon running perpendicular to the main canyon. Since i have a cistern with a pressure tank and pump all in good shape I'm thinking even if I only manage to get a well that has a low recharge rate I'm in good shape. The house needs some other stuff done but the water situation is the big bullet. I don't have my cables to put pics up. Sorry.

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds just as described yesterday, Pete.

Id like to get up there and see it if you are able to pull the trigger on it.

And count me in for some winter house work.

3. I hope this works out. Really cool place awesome shop. ping pong table city. I may rent the shop out to help pay for improvements. no real neighbors and you feel like you are in the mountains but only 20 minutes from Fort Collins.

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

PM me the address? Wanna peep the aerials.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Aren't there systems for total water recycling? Specifically made for these remote cabins?

6. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

Think they are BIG Bucks

7. Does it require harvesting snow or rainwater? Not legal here. If I have to use the cistern I'm doing all peeing outdoors.

8. Wet_Boots

The systems I read about basically allow you to drink your own wee-wee, as they finish off with a membrane filter. I heard about them before the current trend of banning rainwater collection, so I don't know how that affects the picture.

9. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

No thanks. No shampoo or dishwater in my drink, either.

10. Wet_Boots

None of it can get through the final filtration, so big whoop. If you examine a map of sewage treatment plants and water-department river intakes, you can see that everyone is drinking wee-wee anyhow, if at a greater distance.