1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Well that kind of sucks...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bcg, Oct 14, 2012.

1. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Got home from church today to see all of my zones running simultaneously. Pull the car into the garage and open the ESP-SMT to be greeted by the unmistakable smell of burnt electronics. Guess I took a lightning strike. Haven't ohmed anything out yet but looks like I'll be replacing my controller and probably all of my solenoids this week.

I like lightning when it destroys a paying customer's system, not so much when it kills mine...

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Lightning is equal opportunity.

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

know you know this but a short to earth measurement will tell you the condition of the wire insulation in a hurry
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Jim,

My system was actually installed by the previous homeowner (and I mean him, not he hired a contractor) so all my valves are in a manifold just outside the wall the controller is on, maybe 8' of wire total. I'll probably just go ahead and replace that wire while I'm at it anyway since he used phone cable.

I've done a LOT of work to get this POS system watering halfway decent but never got around to replacing all the wiring because there wasn't a reason to. I keep threatening to rip the whole thing out and start over but my wife talks me down and it waters at night so I don't have to watch the atrocity in action.

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Former owner must have been a So Cal transplant.
    Posted via Mobile Device