Well to Storage Tank Shut Off

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by txirrigation, Oct 10, 2011.

1. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I have a system going in soon and I need a little help with the water well to storage tank set up.

Storage tank will be added 50' from the well, and I need a way to shut off the supply to the tank when it is full without running a float switch.

Here is the set-up:

Well==>Tank==>2hp pump==>Pressure Switch==>Pressure Tank==>Irrigation.

I will be installing a float switch to protect the Irrigation pump, and a pressure switch to operate the pump on/off.

I have done many of these set ups from lakes, rivers, etc., but never from a well. The well still needs to operate independently from the tank, so a simple float switch to turn it off will not work.

This is what I need... but cant find:

-An automatic valve that closes when the tank is full.

-Any other options I do not know about

2. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Well, short of using a probe system I don't see how you're going to do it without another float switch.
    Can you install a low pressure cut off pressure switch rather than a float switch to protect the pump?
    Is the well system pressure based as well?
    If I understand what you're saying, I would tie into the well feed with a standard irrigation electric valve equipped with a 110v solenoid ran through a pump up float switch in the storage tank.

3. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

sounds like the well is also for the house? If so why not use a float switch in the tank wired to a separate transformer and solenoid valve.

4. txirrigation

from Texas

The well is pressure based with a pressure switch/pressure tank set up.

Yes, the well is also used for the house. So I need a way to use pressure to shut the well pump down.

5. txirrigation

from Texas

The 110 solenoid setup may be what I am looking for. That way it will shut down the supply and allow the well's pressure tank to shut down the well pump.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of storage tank? Any pressure tank works by way of the pressure switch. Are you setting up some kind of reclaimed-water system?

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

That's a 'deep' subject.:rolleyes: Probe systems do work 'well', though. I've got a 3000 gallon cistern site that has been using hi/low probes for fifteen years. Warning: a probe system can kick harder than a 521 if handled wrong. :cry:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  8. Sprinkus

Yup, those suckers pack a wallop! :cry:

9. Sprinkus

A flow control valve can be used to restrict the flow to the tank if the pressure to the house is too low when the tank is filling.

10. txirrigation

from Texas

Where can I find a 110v solenoid? Can I fit them to a normal hunter/rainbird valve or are they threaded differently?