Well to Storage Tank Shut Off

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by txirrigation, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I like air gaps, but I seem to recall you're not a fan of on-demand pumping systems?

2. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Of course you can use float valves, one for each tank. Not a float SWITCH, a float VALVE. I have a customer with 4 water features all fed from the same well and all of them have float valves installed to keep them full. Works perfectly. You're making this way harder than it needs to be.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't have a float switch/valve, then you would have a pressure transducer/sensor ~ a means of electrically 'knowing' when the irrigation storage is filled

a pressure-sustaining valve upstream of the tank might cover your needs - with an air break, you don't need any other isolation for the sprinkler system

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Why do you need one? What is wrong with using an actuated ball valve?

5. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

How reliable are the float valves? I know what they are, but I woud rather something fail closed than open. A solenoid would fail closed and a float valve would fail open much like a leaking toilet.

6. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I've had them in service outdoors for years and haven't had any problems with them. Everything needs maintenance periodically though, check it every once in a while, re-adjust as needed and you should be fine.

7. stebs

stebs LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe put float valves in both tanks, then put a pressure switch on the line feeding the float valves? That way, if they are both closed, pump shuts down. If one opens, pump starts up.

8. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

R-Co makes them. Longhorn, Sheeping, or any other major supplier should carry them.
    The ones I use work on Irritrol valves.

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

:):):):)..........i agree

10. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member