1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

well water

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by clc19chase, Jun 1, 2007.

1. clc19chase

clc19chase LawnSite Member

I have a customer interested in having a well put in. the guy installing the well wants to know the GPM on the biggest zone. How close does this number need to be and can it easily be figured out. biggest zone is 5 PGP'S with #4's and 5's for tips
  2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Just guess at it, make up a number, pull one out of thin air. Just kidding, I'm in a playful mood today. Get to finally go play some golf this afternoon.

I'll let the guys who know more on well systems answer this one. Glad you asked though, rather than taking my first recommendation
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If this is an existing system on city water, open the zone and use the water meter and your wristwatch to determine gpm.
  4. speedbump

speedbump LawnSite Member

Sometimes you just get what you get from a well. Some go hundreds of feet and only make humidity. It all depends on your area. The driller should know what to expect when he drills in any given area (his area of expertise). He should be able to tell you what to expect.

If it were possible to keep drilling to get more water, then I would want at least 10 gpm more than you need for the zones.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed with the bumper..most drillers have a "historical" log of what's available += in the area. Where we'd always had problems with them is the
    "how many gpm @ psi?" Most of us know all zones will never be equal!
    When you see the driller's log on drawndown...you'll know how to zone.
    Take into consideration sun/shade..turf & plantings do not mix..leave lots for
    any expansions or screw ups. Some people on this forum do not like the
    "on demand-variable psi pumps ", but I sure do..pricey? Best is always best.:waving:
  6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Sure can: http://www.hunterindustries.com/Products/Rotors/pgpdata.html

But to figure it out you'll need to know the existing pressure at each head and what the nozzle number is at each specific sprinkler. Then just add it all up.

What size main line already exists?
  7. Greenguy1

Greenguy1 LawnSite Member

around here the average GPM for a 4" well @ 60' is about 12-14gpm with 1/2 hp. just tell the well man to give you 14 gpm. you can make the adjustments with nozzle sizes or more or less heads just don't let the pump cycle if you use a pressure tank.
  8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'm pretty sure the driller only asked you that to help him size what pump to drop down the shaft.

You better hope all of your zones are fairly balanced in GPM use.
  9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Or the next thread will be: "One of my zones no longer works." :)
  10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Can you say "on demand..variable speed?". Check it out.:cool2: It has a little baby pressure tank, takes
    less room & no F.....g around with 60/40 switches & having to zone to the t..s waiting for the pump to
    kick in.