Well well well Forum sponsor becomes low baller

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, Jun 29, 2006.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I just found out something VERY interesting. CLIP the guy that makes the lawn care software and a sponsor of this forum has started a lawn care company and is leaving flyers all over the place for a $20 cut and they claim they are cheaper than the competition.

"CLIP Lawn Care was formed to provide customers with low priced, reliable lawn service. We provide good service at a price much lower than our competitors. Because we mainly do one service, we are experts at doing the job efficiently and we don't have to charge you for extra time like our competition. We also use the most advanced software available for scheduling and billing.

Operations Manager: Jon Coleman"

http://www.cliplawncare.com/About.html

I just found it interesting thats all.

2. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

If this is true, it doesn't say much for the overall and long term success of CLIP, does it? I use it and think it works just fine but I don't see how using "the most advanced software available" enables you to cut at cut rate prices.

3. ProStreetCamaro

Thats what I was thinking. I can scan the door hanger I pulled off a customer today so everybody can see it if anybody wants to see it.

4. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

In CLIP's defense, it does say 'Limit one time per customer.' If he retains the customer then it would be worth it.

5. ProStreetCamaro

Very true but he is claiming to offer lower prices than anybody else. It seems as if he is trying to do quantity VS quality which IMO is a bad way of doing business and the people that hire him will be the people we are glad that didnt hire us. You know the PITA type of customer. Im not cutting on him at all I just found the "we are cheaper" bit a rather odd way of getting customers for the very reasons I stated above.

6. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

Very well put.

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Walmart does it, McDonalds does it, taco Bell, Hundai, Kia, Dollar general, Jiffy Lube....Its a sound business practice that has been around a long long time....I find it kinds of odd that a software business is getting into grass cutting. Are people just getting better at scheduling their own routes rather than relying on the software?

8. ProStreetCamaro

I understand that tottaly but have some respect for other LCO's. I would NEVER put a flyer on a lawn that I can clearly see is being done by another company. That is disrespectful and bad business practices. This flier was on our customers door. Maybe I am to straight in the way I do things.

9. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

C'mon..........$20.00 for up to 20,000 sq. ft. ;) what the hell are people thinking (or aren't they?) this is a great way to show your love for the industry by cheapening the trade and bringing it further down the crapper.

Are you sure these are the same guys who are running the software company...or did they simply borrow (read: steal) the clip logo....you would think an established software co. would have better things to do than this and would certainly put up a better web site than what I just saw....

10. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

blah, I've found anymore (especially in the past few days) to let the cheap guys have the PITA cheap customers. I have one customer that I budged on the price just because I wanted to be able to get into the neighborhood and she's a big pita but she's buying upsales like crazy so it works out I guess.

All commercial for me next year, I don't want the 25-30 dollar accounts that I have to waste time on and listen to people cry about every little thing.